Word Tracking for Mac problem

Reaction score
Hello everyone...

I've just joined with a real need to solve this particular problem, please, if anyone can help.

For several years, I have been working as an online proofreader / copy editor, using Word Tracking for Mac. It has worked perfectly. However, something's gone awry in the past few days and I can't seem to resolve it. I have all updates downloaded automatically so I don't think that can be an issue.

I send the edited documents back to the authors in two forms: 1) the tracked version with all changes visible (FINAL SHOWING MARKUP and 2) the FINAL version, a clean edited copy without the changes being visible.

The problem is that, when I save the clean FINAL version, upon reopening the document, it has immediately reverted to the FINAL SHOWING MARKUP version (i.e. covered in red edits) and this now happens every time. I cannot send the client the FINAL (clean) version at all.

I'm not aware of having changed any settings, especially as it was all working so well up until now. But something's gone very wrong.

Any help would be fallen upon with enormous gratitude. THANK YOU with crossed fingers.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

A few questions for you:

-Which version of OS X?
-I assume you mean the Track Changes function of Microsoft Word? If so, what version?
-Is this happening with all of your clients, or just some?
-Were there any updates to OS X or Word just before the issue appeared?

I haven't ever used the track changes function of Word, but we'll see what we can do.

C

Reaction score
Thank you so much for responding!

I am using my beloved Macbook Air with Sierra OSX which has been perfectly well-behaved until this sudden odd glitch.

Microsoft Office 2011 and happening each time I try to save a 'clean' FINAL copy (i.e. with no edit marks)
It is possible that there may have been an update before this issue - yes. I am unsure but it's a good question.
Thank you!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

There was a Microsoft Office 2011 update back in November, which updated all of the apps, including Word to version 14.7.0. In addition, Microsoft Office 2011 isn't officially supported under macOS Sierra, but it seems to be working normally from most reports.

Give us a little more about the workflow - are you saving both copies from the same document - i.e. using Save As...?

C

Reaction score
Yes, that's correct.

I edit a client's academic document then save it first as FINAL SHOWING MARKUP then as FINAL (which is supposed to be the clean copy with no edit markings at all.
The document looks perfectly clean when I save it, but upon reopening (or uploading it to the client), it reverts to the FINAL SHOWING MARKUP and has been 'sent' as such, apparently.

Most peculiar. Do you think it has something to do with a Microsoft Office update....?

Again, many thanks. This is appreciated.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I could have something to do with an update, but can't be sure.

I did a quick test with Word here.
1. Created a document with a few paragraphs.
2. Enabled Track Changes and made a comment.
3. Performed Save As with Final Showing Markup.
4. Switched and performed another Save As as Final.
5. Closed all documents.
6. Opened each one and they when to the state they were saved in.
7. But, Final was opened, and can be switched to Final Showing Markup to see the comments, and vice versa.

It looks like when you save the document both ways, it just hides the changes/markup comments. The recipient can probably open one of the previous ones titled Final, then enable the Track Changes function to see the changes. In essence, both of the copies you are saving are the same except the title, and contain all of the markup.

Make sense? Test that out on your end and see what happens.

C

Reaction score
Sorry - was driving elsewhere.

You are absolutely right in your experiment and description. Exactly as you say from numbers 1 - 7. Absolutely.

Yes, the 'hidden' changes in the FINAL version just don't seem to 'hide' any more, upon reopening the document. Problem for me, really, is that I freelance for a company and they like the edited documents uploaded back to the client in both saved forms; one showing the editing; one with the editing hidden. When I upload each version, the 'hidden' version comes out as exactly the same as the visibly edited document. So - essentially - I'm uploading two of exactly the same things to the client.

You've been very kind and generous with your time and it is utterly appreciated. Can one roll back an update, do you happen to know? I have no idea if it's anything to do with that but it may be worth a try...

Reaction score
You've been very kind and generous with your time and it is utterly appreciated. Can one roll back an update, do you happen to know? I have no idea if it's anything to do with that but it may be worth a try...

I used to have Office 2011, and now have Office 2016. But, whenever Microsoft released (or releases) an update, I retain at least one prior version. I believe you can "go back" to a prior version/update. You can get prior versions of such updates from Microsoft. For example, here is the link for V14.6.9:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54014

Not sure which version you want, but if you do a google search for "Office 2011 V14.x.y", you should get at least one "hit" for Microsoft's download site. That is what I did above, ie, I entered Office 2011 V14.6.9.

Reaction score
And thank you very much, too honestone. I'll give that a go, as well. Very much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to offer some help. :)

Ask a Question