Wi-Fi access issues

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me....
I've got a MacBook Pro Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013 running OS X 10.9.5

Recently it has stopped connecting to my BT wifi but happily connects to me free BT wifi with FON?

If I remove the router and reinstall it will work apfor a couple of days and then stops connecting again and asks me to run the diagnostics which doesn't solve the issue.

Reaction score
My ISP is BT, I think the "FON" and "my BT wifi" are the same they are non password protected on my router and then I can log into the pop up that appears if I select "FON" with my BT broadband account username and password and it connects like I was at a BT hotspot.

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I do not know what BT means. My ISP is Comcast.

Have you received any information/assistance from your ISP regarding this issue?

Also, when you say "recently", did anything occur around that time that was any different than your normal processing. For example, did you upgrade any software?

And, by "BT wifi", do you mean your home network? I have two Macs, with the router and "special" modem I need for my Comcast services connected to the Mac Mini, which is upstairs. For my MacBook Air, which is downstairs in my bedroom, it connects seamlessly to my internal network for internet access.

Reaction score
I have the same problem with the same MacBook. Last week I had no problem connecting to my local network, but this week I can't connect even though the network is in my list. Mine has a password, but the option to type it in does not come up. Instead I get the "run diagnostic" option only. My laptop connects automatically to a neighbor's open network, but when I try to switch to mine it says there is no network connection at first, then a message that it can't connect to mine and gives me that diagnostic option. How can I get back the option to use my password to connect? There have been no updates that i am aware of.

Reaction score
Hi DaveMcC,

My ISP is BT

If this is a home hub 5 then just turn it off for five mins. With it off you should see your connection as being a FON connection. Still with the HUB off turn the WiFi off on the Macbook. Now power up the HUB and let it cycle through its setup. It should go green then orange then green then finally a solid blue, once you have the solid blue light turn the Macbooks WiFi on look for your network and click it.
If a FON network pops up just close the box or re tick your network.

Reaction score
Hi Kaahili,

Try resetting your modem first.

How can I get back the option to use my password to connect?

You could try telling the Mac to forget this network then delete it then shut down and re boot the Mac once done re configure the network again, this should prompt for password unless you saved it to key chain when you first set it up.

Ask a Question