Why does my iPhone or iPad occasionally ask me if I trust my computer when plugged in?

Reaction score
Why does my iPhone or iPad occasionally ask me if I trust my computer when plugged in? It's the same devices.

I plug my iPad in every night, and plug my iPhone in when I copy epubs to my readers (it works better than wi-fi). And sometimes I have to enter my code and tell it to trust my computer.

More often than not, it doesn't require this.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
This is a security feature of IOS. Its stupposed to ask you to trust the computer if the phone was locked for over an hour.

Reaction score
Locked, as in it was on the charger overnight? It doesn't happen that often. I don't explicitly lock my phone.

Reaction score
Locked, as on the Lock Screen.

The way that it is supposed to work is that if your iPhone has not been used in awhile and on the lock screen for an hour or more then when you plug it in, it should ask to Trust the computer. If you have used your iPhone recently and then plug it in, it will trust the computer if it was trusted previously.

The concept is that if you leave your iPhone on your desk, and a stranger picks it up then they won't be able to plug it into a computer and gain access to your info and files.

Reaction score
I wish I could turn it off. I don't use my phone at night, when it is sitting next to my iMac in a secured area, so I guess it must be locked. So occasionally it makes me go through this irritating routine.

Reaction score
nothing terrible, but during the day instead of checking the face it asks for a password and quite often.

Reaction score
If it asks for your password, does it say that the password is required to enable FaceID? If it does then your phone may be having an issue where it is restarting. If you do not see the message, then you just need to retrain your face in the FaceID settings.

Ask a Question