Why did all my raw photos convert to jpeg?

Reaction score
I just bought a MacBook Pro (so this could be some rookie mistake) and uploaded about 500 images all in raw format. There weren't any problems, I've been editing them in Lightroom then exporting back to original format to Photoshop. Now all of the sudden all my images (in the folder) are in jpeg, so Lightroom is reading jpeg as the original format. I have no idea how this happened! Literally one second they are raw and the next jpeg! Please help!!

Reaction score
The Mac doesn't change formats, I'd guess Lightroom and Photoshop.

I was thinking this also, but after doing some research I realized that my images are in raw format under iPhoto, but I transferred them to a folder in finder where they became jpeg. I can't open my photos in Lightroom when they are stored in iPhoto, so this is why I transferred them. Does anyone know why either of these things would happen? Why I can't open photos from iPhoto in editing programs and why the format was changed to jpeg when moved from iPhoto to another folder?

Reaction score
When you EXPORT photos from iPhoto they are exported as JPGs, exports are not the originals.

iPhoto > Preferences > Advanced > Edit Photos: In Application... Choose Photoshop

Reaction score
So you using the word "export" actually solved the problem! I hadn't tried to export the images, I only copied them. So in export I was given the option to export as the original forma. iPhoto automatically chooses jpeg for exports unless otherwise specified. So thank you!

Ask a Question