Where did i go wrong ?

Reaction score
I had a sequence with rendered images. Problem was in fact, the sequence numbers started at 00002.
I decided to use Rename action to rename all files with new numbers starting with *1

Finally i get a complete mess in my folder. All files are now randomly disordered numbered from 1-650. Some of them are just the same copies, with different numbers.
Ex. Image previously was Number_00025 now are Number_00001, Number_00567, Number_000589 ...
Sequence ir completely lost. This vas a Image sequence of the video file.

Where did i go wrong?

Files was: 90ie_GALVA_00002 ... to _00651
I wanted to make them : 90ie_GALVA_00001 ... to _00650

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 13.15.24.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 13.15.24.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 378

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X?
-Do you have a current Time Machine or other backup?

I am not very experienced with Automator. I actually use A Better Finder Rename to perform this service.

You may have to manually rename them, if you do not have a backup that you can restore from.

C

Reaction score
OS 10.10.5
I have a TimeMachine, but files were just created, so TM backup didn't backed them.

There is no way to rename them manually, cause many of them are now just duplicates, there is also no any way to recognize correct sequence manually. The only way is render it all again.

I'm just trying to understand, what i did wrong in Automator action ...

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Not sure what went wrong...the Automator flow looks correct to me.

If you click the disclosure triangle next to Rename Finder Items: Make Sequential completed - 648 warnings, does it give you more information about what the problem is/was?

C

Reaction score
I do not understand this in details, even it seems pretty easy - it is Renaming task, there is nothing to do with replacing existing files... Just take one file, give them another name and thats all.

This is how i see it (how it should be IMHO) :
Automator takes file MyFile_0002.file and renames it to MyFile_0001.file. And there is no more file named MyFile_0002.file anymore. So Automator goes further and takes next one with number _0003 and does the same action again with the only difference renaming the next one to _0002 (how we know there is not the file with number _0002 anymore)

Hmm.... And here is what i don't understand anymore. Where did he gets a conflict with existing file?
The only thing, i can imagine, is Automator takes multiple files simultaneously and renames all them at the same moment. (?) Crazy...

Anyway...
May be somebody knows the correct action for task like this:

" Files_0002...0101 to Files_0001...0100 "

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It seems that it is doing them out of order, which is why you are getting the error that there is an existing file with the same name.

Maybe if you change the search name to be more/less specific, or change the output name to add another 0 or other character?

C

Reaction score
It means ...

Action - Files_0002...0101 to Files_0001...0100
Actually is :
Copy Files_0002...0101 to NewFiles_0001...0100 + Delete Files_000* + Rename NewFiles_0001...0100 to Files_0001...0100

Right?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
That may work if you when you copy the files, they go into a different folder, so they don't have a chance to see/overwrite an existing file with the same name.

C

Reaction score
ermmmm mmm

It seems i'm going to really HATE!!!! this UGLY AUTOMATOR SOFT.
What is wrong with it?

How this crap works????
Haven't seen more idiotic and absurd software.

How can i do anything there?

Is there somebody smart out there?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 19.04.00.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 19.04.00.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 423

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I understand your frustration. Like I said, I don't have a lot of experience with Automator/AppleScript, mainly because it can be daunting to use without instruction/experience. Some of its functionality is easier and self-explanatory. Other functions require some research and/or training. A quick Google search found some good websites out there that explain the basics.

Guiding Tech: Learn Mac’s Automator Basics With This Simple File-Renaming Workflow

In hindsight, this may have been a good idea: "On step two, we’ll uncheck the Replacing existing files checkbox so we can preserve a copy of the original images we want to rename." It should have prompted you to add a Copy Finder Items step, when you added Rename Finder Items, that would have allowed you to make a copy and leave the originals intact.

Maybe the folks at MacScripter could lend a hand as well, as they have some folks that are experienced in Automator and AppleScript.

Hope that helps a little.

C

Reaction score
Anyway. I dont understand how it works ...

What i do wrong?
Step by step.
1. Open Animator
2. Choose from "Folder Actions"
3. From Library (on the left) i pick Rename Finder Items (with or without copy them ... doesnt matter)
4. i Choose folder from menu on the top (where all my renaming files are located)
5. Fill all info i need for renaming in Rename Finder Items dialog box.
6. Press Run button.

And ...
And nothing happens...
Except some errors sometimes.

Sometimes it does a job partly. ex. Just one first of all files is renamed.

It doesnt makes any sense, do i add this misty "Get Selected Finder Items" to action or not.

Reaction score
And another one last question about this wondersoft. Last, i mean, i'm going to never ever use it anymore.

HOW TO CLOSE THIS?

While i tried to do all this "renaming" business, there are some "Untitled #" Animator documents open. I'm trying to close them ... without any success.
Even if i ForceQuit every time i open it again all these Untitled documents are open again. Close with "Don't Save" option gives nothing.

I know, i'm going to look as a stupid ...
But how to close this?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Try closing the Untitled files before quitting Automator. If that doesn't work, check the box next to Close windows when quitting an app in System Preferences... > General.

C

Ask a Question