What Mojave Might Break

Reaction score
As a longtime customer of Other World Computing, I get their blog posts almost daily. A lot of them I just give a quick glance, but many times, those posts end up in an archive I keep because they're often absolute gems of helpful information and fixes for many problems we encounter with our Macs.

A lot of people are asking questions about upgrading to Mojave. Perhaps I'm one of the very luckiest few because I've experienced no problems at all.

However, the following link is from the OWC blog I found in my inbox this morning titled "What Mojave Broke and How to Fix It."

https://blog.macsales.com/46143-macos-101-what-mojave-broke-and-how-to-fix-it

I'm interested in hearing if anyone has experienced the problems listed in the article and how its proposed fixes have worked out.

Reaction score
Interesting link, Allen. It definitely has some issues I would be concerned about. The Font issue is definitely troublesome. Also, I see where that article recommend visiting the site https://roaringapps.com/, which is the "top" of the roaring apps site I have mentioned numerous times: https://roaringapps.com/apps. It always amazes why folks are in such a "rush" to install the version of a new Mac OS, yet incompatibilities exist with third party applications. Heck, I have read on Micromat's site about folks trying to use Tech Tool Pro with Mojave, even though Micromat definitively states that the current version is not compatible with Mojave.

Reaction score
Interesting link, Allen. It definitely has some issues I would be concerned about. The Font issue is definitely troublesome. Also, I see where that article recommend visiting the site https://roaringapps.com/, which is the "top" of the roaring apps site I have mentioned numerous times: https://roaringapps.com/apps. It always amazes why folks are in such a "rush" to install the version of a new Mac OS, yet incompatibilities exist with third party applications. Heck, I have read on Micromat's site about folks trying to use Tech Tool Pro with Mojave, even though Micromat definitively states that the current version is not compatible with Mojave.
Since leaving the newspaper and graphics business, the font issue kinda flew under my radar. Having a lengthy background in graphic arts, I'd become something of a font hog over the years. At one time, I had in excess of 3,000 typefaces available. These days, I suppose I can get by with the generous smattering Apple supplies.

I got curious about it and opened a few really old documents and found that some of my really old TrueType fonts didn't display quite right, but they printed okay. Some of my old Type 1 Postscript fonts also displayed fuzzy and they also printed fine. However, I found a number of both TrueType and Postscript fonts that went absolutely bonkers when printed out. Individual letters were missing, some printed several points above or below the baseline. The most trouble seemed to be with printing fonts that were on a path. I got some real Twilight Zone results there!

I'd noticed, too, that you posted something about OpenOffice and Mojave. I hold Microsoft in the same high regard as I do Adobe (don't let the sarcasm there drip all over your keyboard there). I have to say those Apache fellows have really done outstanding work in providing an Open Source alternative to MS Office. The few instances in which there were any issues, I suspect those boys and girls must've called in reinforcements from a couple of other tribes in getting everything fixed. (I hope nobody goes all PC about that. Excuse me for having a sense of humor. Lighten up if you do and focus your attentions on things that really do matter.)

OpenOffice behaves nicely with Mojave for me. I haven't checked for any updates lately, so perhaps I should just to cover my butt.

You and Cory and a couple of other guys here offer a wealth of information and helpful directions, and I'm reluctant to stick my nose into anything because I don't consider myself to be an authority or a guru. But I do hope I can sometimes bring a little something to the table. I almost never notice anything referencing sources connected to OWC, and that's where I get info I don't easily or quickly find here. And I swear, I'm NOT an employee or agent for OWC as much as it might seem so since I'm constantly blowing their horn. It's just that I've been a customer of theirs for years on a commercial as well as personal basis, and I've never had a better experience with anyone else since I began doing business with them back in the early 1990s.

Reaction score
Another informative post! Regarding Microsoft, now that I no longer use Outlook 2016 as my EMail client (use Thunderbird instead, and it works well), and given how little I am using Word and Excel these days, I just might switch over to the word processing and spreadsheet modules contained in OpenOffice. I have read quite a few positive comments about that suite, so maybe it's time to switch.

Hopefully Apple will get the fonts issue resolved. That would be good.

And thanks for the kind words, but you are giving me way too much credit! Cory is definitely the man, and I am always amazed the wealth of knowledge he has! He always seems to come up with a solution, and especially with some bizarre issues.

Finally, keep posting! I truly enjoy your reports, and I have learned some things from some of them.

Ask a Question