What files in a dowloaded font packaget do I need to keep nd what can I throw.?

Reaction score
when I download fonts from some of the free font website the packages includes loads of things, including sometimes images of the font in use, etc. which are the mains one I should keep, for Ventura 13.3.1 M1 iMac.

Regards, Sandy
different font components.jpg

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response.

macOS normally uses .ttf (TrueType) or .otf (OpenType) fonts.

The other files are:
  • .eof - Embedded OpenType fonts are a compact form of OpenType fonts designed by Microsoft for use as embedded fonts on web pages.
  • .woff - The Web Open Font Format is a font format for use in web pages. WOFF files are OpenType or TrueType fonts, with format-specific compression applied and additional XML metadata added.
  • .woff2 - The WOFF 2.0 format is similar to the WOFF 1.0 format above but features improved compression in order to decrease network bandwidth use.
Hope that helps!

C

Reaction score
when I download fonts from some of the free font website the packages includes loads of things, including sometimes images of the font in use, etc. which are the mains one I should keep, for Ventura 13.3.1 M1 iMac.

Regards, SandyView attachment 4744
Assuming that you want to add the fonts to your user font library, you can use Font Book.app. Place all of the files you downloaded to a single folder, then launch Font Book and then go to

Screen Shot 2023-06-10 at 15.52.22.png

and navigate to the folder with the fonts. You can select all and it will only import the actual font files. If, according to your list, both the TrueType and OpenType fonts were imported. You can examine each to see which works better for you. You can then, if you think you need to, delete the unwanted version.

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response.

macOS normally uses .ttf (TrueType) or .otf (OpenType) fonts.

The other files are:
  • .eof - Embedded OpenType fonts are a compact form of OpenType fonts designed by Microsoft for use as embedded fonts on web pages.
  • .woff - The Web Open Font Format is a font format for use in web pages. WOFF files are OpenType or TrueType fonts, with format-specific compression applied and additional XML metadata added.
  • .woff2 - The WOFF 2.0 format is similar to the WOFF 1.0 format above but features improved compression in order to decrease network bandwidth use.
Hope that helps!

C
Hi Cory, thanks for the information. so basicaly those things are mainly for Web based usage.?. I am mainly working in Photoshop all day long. Are they of any use to Photoshop.? or only web based.?

I used to do typesetting for an old Lead based Printer... so had 25,000+ fonts (all the Adobe range at the time).

no when I get fonts, it often come with Multiple packages of such . same font names but sever other icons with the different appendages..

Basicaly asking as to what may happen if I simply trim down to only the TT or OT fonts...

so I think I can go though the massive font folder I have not and delete most of the web based one. as I don't to any web stuff at all.

Thanks again.

Regards, Sandy

Ask a Question