Use AirDrop to transfer files to new Mac?

Reaction score
Hi. I am trying to figure out the best way to transfer my files and documents from an older (Air 2017) to a new M1 Mac I've just got.
I don't yet have the USB hub, so I can't use my old external drives to get the files.
I have mostly gone for a fresh install. That means I've re-downloaded applications on the new Mac.
I just need to transfer old MS Office files, some films and music, and some HEIC and JPEGs.
I understand Migration Assistant will let me do this automatically. But how about transfer several folders in one go using AirDrop over Wi-Fi? That way I can also clean out the older machine and transfer only those files and folders that I really need.
There isn't too much data that I will need to sort through, so I think it won't be much of a drag doing this manually.
Do let me know your thoughts about any risks associated with an AirDrop transfer of the entire HDD of my older computer.
Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

There isn't any risk associated with using AirDrop. If you don't have the ability to simply copy the files to an external drive to move them, I think enabling file sharing and mounting the MBA drive on the new Mac will be easier, since it won't transfer all of the AirDropped files to the Downloads folder. You will have the ability to drag and drop from the MBA to the folder(s) you would like without having to move them after transfer.

C

Reaction score
Hello,

There isn't any risk associated with using AirDrop. If you don't have the ability to simply copy the files to an external drive to move them, I think enabling file sharing and mounting the MBA drive on the new Mac will be easier, since it won't transfer all of the AirDropped files to the Downloads folder. You will have the ability to drag and drop from the MBA to the folder(s) you would like without having to move them after transfer.

C
Thanks, that's a useful tip! Actually I played around with a couple of files and folders and noticed that they are all going into the Downloads folder. That's cumbersome, even for someone like me who's willing to do a manual transfer.
So, how does one enable and work with File Sharing? Does that work together with AirDrop, or independently?
Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Hello,

C
Hi Cory Cooper,

At this point, I am just trying to make the transfer as simply as possible, and in as risk-free a manner.

For various reasons, I don't now want to use migration assistant. I'd like to just copy files on to an external, and paste them into the new machine (2017 Air (running Mojave) to my new M1 Air (Ventura)).

I think simply copy and pasting the files to my new computer should be fine, but there will likely be permission issues later on. How serious can these permission issues potentially be? Is it possible that I may lose the ability to edit Word files from my older computer? At this point, the older laptop is still with me, so I can take whatever steps are needed to make sure that the data transfer goes through correctly, and stays that way.

Can you suggest how I can do this reliably? A web link or two to guide me through the process will be quite helpful.

Many thanks!

Ask a Question