Disabling AirDrop and AirPlay?

Reaction score
If I don't need them, would shutting wi-fi down disable both AirDrop and AirPlay?
Checking Air Drop, it says "Turn on Wi-Fi", so is it safe to assume shutting Wi-fi down disabled Air Drop?

But would it be same with AirPlay?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
If I don't need them, would shutting wi-fi down disable both AirDrop and AirPlay?
Checking Air Drop, it says "Turn on Wi-Fi", so is it safe to assume shutting Wi-fi down disabled Air Drop?

But would it be same with AirPlay?

If you are using Ethernet to connect to the internet then you can safely disable WiFi. As far as AirDrop goes, officially it is WiFi only according to Apple.

In case you didn't know, only when you have the AirDrop icon highlighted in the Finder Sidebar is AirDrop ON & AirDrop is send only from your end & from any other within range Mac as well, so you can only ever send or authorise the receipt of any sent file.

I can't use either AirDrop or AirPlay on my iMac but apparently Apple TV can work using Ethernet/AirPlay ... otherwise it is disabled once WiFi is turned off.

Reaction score
If you are using Ethernet to connect to the internet then you can safely disable WiFi. As far as AirDrop goes, officially it is WiFi only according to Apple.

In case you didn't know, only when you have the AirDrop icon highlighted in the Finder Sidebar is AirDrop ON & AirDrop is send only from your end & from any other within range Mac as well, so you can only ever send or authorise the receipt of any sent file.

I can't use either AirDrop or AirPlay on my iMac but apparently Apple TV can work using Ethernet/AirPlay ... otherwise it is disabled once WiFi is turned off.

So AirDrop files can be sent and received only when I allow it?
And if Wi-Fi is off, AirDrop and AirPlay are also off?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Yes & yes, you have to accept any incoming file & vice versa otherwise it fails.

Ask a Question