iCloud questions: disabling

Reaction score
I have few questions about iCloud:

1) From what folders does iCloud upload to web server? Are they only from Desktop and Documents?

2) If I make folder next to Documents folder (to same place where Documents is), but not in there, will this folder be ignored by iCloud?

3) If I have all boxes unchecked/empty in iCloud menu (example with checked boxes) is it disabled?

By menu I mean this:
https://support.apple.com/library/A.../PUBLIC_USERS/133314/S0008_MaciCloudPrefs.png

4) In this article it says that "Some features aren’t available or are listed differently in earlier OS X versions."

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph2613?locale=en_US

Does this mean some iCloud features are not available in earlier OS versions? English isn't my first language and I first read it as "some iCloud features are not listed in menu" and therefore can't be disabled manually.

So which version is right:
a) some iCloud features are not available in earlier OS X versions
b) some iCloud features are not listed in menu and therefore can't be disabled manually

I'm pretty sure it's a), but I'd still love confirmation.

5) If all boxes are empty and I have also signed out from iCloud in my Mac, it is disabled, correct?

But what if I log back in to menu in Mac - if boxes are still empty, will iCloud still be disabled or will it automatically start uploading files to web server?

My worry is, if I don't want to use iCloud and have signed out, but want to go and check something, will it be disabled or will my files still end up in web server? Or can I go and open iCloud menu without it going to grab my files I do not want to be uploaded?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I assume you are referring to macOS Sierra's iCloud Drive feature?

-Correct, iCloud Drive and iCloud Photo Library are only available in macOS Sierra, not earlier OS X versions.
-iCloud Drive syncs the Desktop and Documents folders only. When enabled, the are moved from your Home folder to a hidden folder in your User Library, but are accessible from the sidebar in a Finder window.
-Earlier versions of OS X support some iCloud features like My Photo Stream.
-Correct, if all are unchecked and you logout of the iCloud preference pane, syncing with iCloud is totally disabled.
-If you login again to iCloud, you have the option to enable or disable the iCloud Drive function. Files will not sync to iCloud of iCloud Drive is not enabled.

Does that help?

C

Ask a Question