Finder Desktop files and folders greyed out, but still clickable/openable and folder contents displays properly.

Reaction score
It happened sometime today. There is lots of chatter on a similar problem, except that usually the greyed out files and folders won't open. I did restarts and quit and restart with no change. When I did Cmd. + Opt + dot, everything disappeared— with repeat they came back. Tried making aliases an new folders, and copy and paste. This seemed to work, but is a short time they grey returned. I reinstalled Mojave on my iMac, but still the desktop f & F in the finder window were greyed out. My IMac has been working well lately. I guess I can still work with the greyed f & F, but I am a little uneasy that this might be a precursor to a larger problem. Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Do you have iCloud Drive > Desktop & Documents Folders enabled in System Preferences.. > iCloud by chance?

C

Reaction score
Thank you, Cory. I am not using iCloud presently, but now that you mention it, I think I will. My problem has been solved, but not directly. I finally went to Time Machine and restored the Desktop files from an earlier date. This worked, but again it returned after a short time. I gave Time Machine another try. It worked again and the problem has not reappeared. I thank you for your response.
BTW, what is "A bushel of Apples" under your reply mean?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...glad you found a solution to a unique issue.

The "A bushel of Apples" is a funny reference to the large amount of Apple products I have. Too many to list. ;)

C

Ask a Question