Desktop Icon in Finder not Displaying Properly

Reaction score
Hello,

I was recently forced to create and move to a new user. After renaming the user everything seemed fine except for the fact that my Desktop icon in the Finder Sidebar was showing as a generic folder icon and not as the "Desktop". Does anyone know how to fix this? I have already deleted the finder pref file to no avail. Yes, this is a detail, but if I can fix it I would like to. Thanks for any help. GL

screenshot_03.png

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
That's just an alias so hold down the  key & drag it off the sidebar onto the desktop. It should go up in a puff. Next in Finder press Shift  H to open your Home directory in a new Finder window.
To the right of the sidebar look for the Desktop folder & just drag it onto the Sidebar where you want it.

Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 10.23.53 PM.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks Spawn_Dooley. What you suggested was the first thing I tried. I did it numerous times and in different ways. I continue to get the generic folder icon even though I am dragging the icon with the Desktop Iconography to the sidebar. GL

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
So, you've already deleted com.apple.sidebar.plist from the Prefs folder in your User Library?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Did you also delete com.apple.finder.plist from the same folder? Can you upload a screenshot similar to mine so I can see what the Desktop folder looks like in the directory?

Reaction score
I deleted com.apple.finder.plist earlier. I didn't delete both files at once. Here is a screen shot for you. Thanks. GL

screenshot_04.png

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Bring up the Get Info window for the highlighted Desktop icon in your picture & bring up the Get Info for the Sidebar Desktop icon.

For the former, in the Get Info window select the icon in the upper left & press  C to copy it.

For the latter, in the Get Info window select the icon in the upper left & press  V to paste it.

If you don't have the permission to change the icon then click the Sharing & Permissions disclosure triangle at the bottom of the Get Info window & then click the padlock. Enter the Administrator details then change your permissions but you shouldn't need to. If you need to then make sure to change them back after you've successfully achieved your goal.

If this doesn't work I have one more trick up my sleeve then I'm pretty much done.

Reaction score
I already tried that one. There is no difference between the info pane for the actual desktop and the info pane for the sidebar icon. They are the same pane. Thanks for your help. I am going to do a clean install of the system. Not because of this but because creating the new user failed to handle the major problem which was that iCloud drive was "stuck". I take it a clean install will fix my icon problem too ; )
GL

Ask a Question