Deleting icon from desktop

Reaction score
Hi

I am a composer finally using my Mac Book Pro 2013 for this purpose - I was allergic to using a DAW which is a Digital Audio Workstation - otherwise known as the software we have to use in order to compose these days. It's all such a huge learning curve as Ive just bought a large library of orchestral instruments that I'm really looking forward to using, and I get around a computer really well considering - however I have a very stupid question, and I will feel stupid once you confirm with me I have done the right or wrong thing.

I was downloading a complex library, and I kept being unable to find apps, they seemed to be hiding out after being downloaded, so I copied the icon - I think you call it - of the hard drive onto the Desktop, to keep it within easy reach until I had downloaded and installed an expensive library. I thought I'd better get rid of the HD icon or app ... so I went to put it in the trash, and then thought better of it. I realise it is not something that you should do under normal circumstances in case you go into the HD by mistake and delete something awful - breaking your computer! So before I headed to the trash bin, could you please tell me the best way to deal with something so big that should not inhabit the desktop???

Many thanks in advance

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I am slightly confused about your question.

-Which version of OS X?
-Which DAW and what version?
-Can you explain "so I copied the icon - I think you call it - of the hard drive onto the Desktop" a bit further? Do you mean the downloaded app icon, or the gray HD icon.
-Does the icon in the Trash have a little arrow in the bottom left corner...i.e. an alias?
-Is the Mac still functioning normally?

C

Reaction score
I found the answer to my conundrum. I could see my hard drive on my desktop. As I had been doing a lot with the mac that day, I couldn't remember how the he
And drive got on my desktop, and I thought I must've taken a copy of the icon to make it more accessible for the time being, because I needed access to the hard drive for most of that morning,

However, I found out what I had done, which was merely ticked a box in preferences to show my hard drive on the desktop, which I then unchecked. Problem solved. Thank you for taking the time to respond, I am sorry you didn't understand my question

Ask a Question