New Desktop + open finder window

Reaction score
I am trying to create a shortcut that allows me to go to my 3d Desktop then open a new finder window that goes to the desktop.

My desktops are currently set up so that pressing Control + 1, goes to first desktop, control + 2 to second desktop etc..

I am trying to create an Applescitp to do this but I am stumbling on the first command.

I want to do the 'Command + 3' keystroke so that it takes me to the 3d desktop but it's not working.

I use:

tell app "System Events" keystroke "3" using command down end tell

I am in OSX Yosemite.

thank you for your help

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I am not very familiar with AppleScript/Automator. The folks over at MacScripter can probably steer you in the right direction.

C

Reaction score
I don't know about Yosemite, but on Mojave and some earlier OSs you can use Control 1, 2, or three to switch between the first three desktops. It doesn't seem to work past the third desktop though. Another thing you can do is assign a keyboard key to Mission Control. I use the right Control key. Then you can hit the key and all desktops show a the top of the screen and one click of the mouse will take you to any desktop. I also assign the upper left hot corner to Mission Control. Moving your mouse there instantly opens Mission Control, making it quick and easy to click on the desktop you want. You might also consider a key-mapping app like Karabiner. I hope this helps.

Ask a Question