Desktop Folder won't stay open

Reaction score
MacBook Pro
OS X Version 10.4.9
2 GB Memory

I have a personal folder on my desktop that will not stay open. I click on it to open it and it very quickly opens and then immediately closes.

Also, I was using FireFox as my web browser and now I cannot start FireFox.

Thank you for your help.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

first thing to try..

Open Disk Utility it's in your Applications-->Utilities folder and do the @Repair Permissions', then reboot and try again.

If that doesn't work let us know and we'll suggest something else !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks Ric. I tried using Disk Utilities but unfortunately it still has not corrected the problem.

What would be the next step?

Reaction score
Ric - if you have any more ideas I would love to hear them - or from anyone else.

One particular folder on my desktop open and then immediately closes when I click on it.

I can get to the files through other applications such as Word or Excel by starting the application and then using the Open command and browsing to that folder.

But I cannot directly open the folder. Is there any way to fix this. I've tried the Disk Utilities and that has not fixed it.

Thank you.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there apologies for the delay !

Single click on the folder, so that it is selected...then do Command + i on it...

This will bring up the 'info' panel, have a look down till you see the bit that says 'Ownership & Permissions', next to the bit that says 'You can' what does it say ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric - Any more ideas?

One interesting development. I created a new folder and was able to copy everything from the problem folder over to this new folder. I can open this new folder but if I try to View it in List format then it closes immediately. As long as I view it in Icon or Column mode it seems to be ok. There must be something in the OS that gets triggered when using the List mode to view a folder. It only happens with this folder, not any of my other folders. Thanks. -Gary

Reaction score
It almost sounds like you have a folder action on your desktop folder.

Go to your home folder and control click or right click if you have more than one button mouse, on the "Desktop" folder
See if there is a menu that says "Remove a folder action" if it does you may have one that says "close - close sub-folders.scpt" if it does click to remove.
Also do the same on the troubling folder just to see if something is attached to it.

That script will close any sub folders automatically when opened, so if you view it in Icon or Column view it will close automatically.

I just recreated it on my own Mac,

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there guys,

sounds like a winner to me.

let us know how you get on.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question