HELP...Library Folder stuck on desktop...

Reaction score
I've accidentally dragged my Library Folder out of Applications and put it on the Desktop. When I try to drag it back... it tells me it can't be moved as it contains elements necessary to run my computer. Can anyone tell me how to put it back where it belongs as I am scared of deleting it or my husband deleting it altogether and causing my pc to malfunction. I'm running Mac OS X 10.5... Leopard I think it is.

Thanks in advance...
Mary Ann

Reaction score
Firstly your Library Folder should not be in Applications, but your Home folder try putting it back there.
But the Mac may have already made a new one.

Reaction score
Hi,

I agree with Kaveman, possibly open terminal and type the following

ls ~ | grep Library

ls ~/Desktop | grep Library

Are there are any lines output ( Library) following the first one? If yes then this means your home folder contains a library folder and I suspect you just copied it to the desktop.

Reaction score
Firstly your Library Folder should not be in Applications, but your Home folder try putting it back there.
But the Mac may have already made a new one.

Oh yes, sorry, it was in the Home Folder not Applications. There is a Library Folder there now when I look, but the things in it aren't all the same things that are in the one that's on the desktop? There IS, however, another Library Folder in the System's Folder and this seems to have the same things in it.. so the one copied to the Desktop must be that one I think?

If I delete the one on the Desktop and the Mac has made a copy automatically in the folder it should be in... will that cause a problem then? I mean if it won't let me move it back... is it safe to delete it?

Oh... and what folder do you call Terminal? I can't see that one? Or do you mean the System's Folder?

Sorry to be a pain, I'm an old granny and I am learning all this stuff... it just takes me a little bit longer than it takes you guys...

Thank you for your replies everyone.

Mary Ann

Reaction score
Hi,
If I delete the one on the Desktop and the Mac has made a copy automatically in the folder it should be in... will that cause a problem then? I mean if it won't let me move it back... is it safe to delete it?
From what you say this desktop folder is just a copy, so there should be no problem deleting.

Oh... and what folder do you call Terminal? I can't see that one? Or do you mean the System's Folder?
No Apples OS X is built on a UNIX foundation and Terminal is a program included with all versions of OS X, you can find it in your application folder - Utilities folder. And this gives you a type stile interface that you can control or investigate things or areas of the Mac or do work etc.
Here is an example.

You could add a message of your choice to your Login window. Warning it’s a sudo command which can be dangerous.

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow LoginwindowText "write your Message here"

And here is the command to put things back to normal.

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow LoginwindowText ""

But as you have never used terminal I would stay well away from it as the wrong command could cause many issues. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh Hi, thank you so much for replying. Sorry it took a while to get back to you... I've been away - visiting friends - for a few days and didn't see the reply. Yes, it was just a copy and deleting it caused no problems whatsoever thank goodness. I agree about Terminals etc and will follow your advice on staying away from it. I'm learning pretty fast how to do things on my Mac and how to make things right when they've gone wrong, and these forums are a huge help to people like me.

So thank you again.... I'm really grateful for you help.

Mary Ann

Reaction score
Hi Mary Ann,

You are welcome so pleased all is well, and you are enjoying your Mac, yes it can be a learning curve.

Ask a Question