Where did my Files go?

Reaction score
So I can’t seem to find some files, but here’s the preface::I produce music and use Logic. I downloaded some plug-ins and installed them as I understand it, and as I’ve had success with it in the past, I dragged over the files that don’t exactly require an installer but you just drag them into the appropriate folder so your application can read them next time you load it up.

OK well I did this and Logic was not reading some of my plug-ins. I looked online, and a guy had success with taking all of those files in a particular folder, and putting them on his desktop and then rebooting, and then dragging them back to the right spot and then rebooting again. OK so I made a folder on my desktop, dragged all of the files for the plug-ins over to the folder. It prompted me to put in my password to make the change. I did so. I rebooted, and then I tried to open up the folder on the desktop where I put everything and nothing was there. Nothing is in the trash bin either. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I can’t Iocate almost every plug-in I’ve ever had or used so essentially all of my music is worthless until I find them. Plus, my understanding of the architecture and functionality of the OS is very limited, as I have spent almost all of my time in Logic itself.
Thanks I’m advance

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.
  • Which model Mac?​
  • Which version of OS X/macOS?​
  • Which version of Logic Pro?​
  • What are the brand/title of the plug-ins?​
  • What folder are you moving them to - i.e. Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plug-Ins - Components (AU), VST, VST3?​
Depending on those answers, some plug-ins may be too old to be supported.

C

Reaction score
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number of Processors: 2
Total Number of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per Processor): 12 MB
Memory: 32 GB
Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05
SMC Version (system): 1.25f4
Serial Number (system): G881615GXYK
Hardware UUID: 8A8AAA91-B327-5EBC-8B6D-8E7AB011D0F8
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
WD HDD 7200 1 TB
WD HDD external 5TB

Running El Cap 10.11.6
Logic X 10.2.4
Apogee Ensemble firewire

Before you ask..it's not updated because the Apogee is the level of AD/DA conversion I want but $2500 new. I opted for the firewire version. Isn't officially supported but so many other things are quirky with this jacked up machine that it may be worth it. Hell just buying a new interface.
So I just dragged over the same folder from my external that I backed up on...
All compatibility requirements were met on these or I couldn't have used them for the past 5 yrs. So much more frustrating is Logic's erratic behavior and if you are truly dedicated to help this cause, I'll painstakingly go trough my hundreds of plugins for the info. One I can say is quite confusing is Cableguys Bundle. Downloaded, unzipped, installed, shows up in Logic, but "could not be opened". And some of the plugins I was talking about having used for years..Logic will read "not found on this system" (ish). Anyway, any help would be cool, thanks for responding

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

That is a Mac Pro (Early 2008). Yes, I am familiar with the Apogee Ensemble, as I still have my Apogee Duet FireWire that served me well for years. ;)

It sounds like the issue may related to dragging the plug-ins folder(s) from a backup. There may be other support files that are required and permissions on the plug-ins folders I mentioned previously may not be correct. Some plug-ins require a Mac restart for Logic Pro to recognize them.

As for the Cableguys Bundle, I do know that part of it (ShaperBox 3 - 9 plug-ins) requires Mac OS X 10.13 or later (64-bit only), so that may not work with El Capitan. The other four (Curve 2, FilterShaper 3, HalfTime, MidiShaper) seem to only require Mac OS X 10.8 and later and are 32 and 64-bit compatible.

Bypass, remove, or rescan Audio Units plug-ins in Logic Pro or MainStage

Feel free to post any other plug-ins that you are having trouble with.

C

Ask a Question