SOLVED Where did these partitions come from, and what can I do about them...?

Reaction score
Hi Everyone -

My MBP is slowing down. I perform First Aid when it gets bothersome, but I just noticed something that I think is really strange. Here's my Mac's details:

Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 6.26.27 AM.png

Here's a screenshot of the First Aid details; notice the extra "data" drives? What are those? Where's they come from? Why are they there. My HD is 1TB, and the system is telling me that it's 60% full. That's not possible, as there's not that much stuff on the drive.
Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 6.09.40 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 6.09.40 AM.png

A while back, I upgraded to Catalina, and that seems to be when all the slowness began. I've since reinstalled Mojave from a previous backup. Can anyone help, please? If I'm out of line by inserting the screen captures, my apologies. Thanks for the help...

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Catalina actually separates the OS from Data in Containers.

Can you click on each Macintosh HD in the list and see what the full names are. I bet you will see something like:

Macintosh HD
Macintosh HD - Data
Macintosh HD - "something else"

You mentioned you reinstalled Mojave - what process did you use to do that? It may have split the drive to have Mojave and Catalina on separate Containers.

Let us know what you find.

C

Reaction score
Hello,

Catalina actually separates the OS from Data in Containers.

Can you click on each Macintosh HD in the list and see what the full names are. I bet you will see something like:

Macintosh HD
Macintosh HD - Data
Macintosh HD - "something else"

You mentioned you reinstalled Mojave - what process did you use to do that? It may have split the drive to have Mojave and Catalina on separate Containers.

Let us know what you find.

C

Hi Cory,

Thanks for helping here. The Drives are exactly like you predicted: HD, HD Data, HD Data. All sub-headed under Container disk1. There's also now a new entry under Disk Image (on the Disk Utility ) called "Apple UDIF read-only compressed (bzip2). This has an "eject" icon next to it. I just now tried to eject it, but received a message back indicating that it can't be ejected now because it is open. I'm looking at my Dock and see nothing unusual open. What's going on here? Is the drive infected?

As to reinstalling Mojave; I went back to my Time Machine and used an older "save" to install it. The "About This Mac" indicated Mojave 10.14.6.

Thanks for your assistance!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

I doubt it is infected. Click the disclosure triangle next to Apple UDIF read-only compressed, and it will show any volumes that it contains. It may be a flash drive or disk image that is/isn't mounted.

Not sure why there are two Macintosh HD - Data - maybe you have two users on your Mac? Or, it sees your user from Catalina and Mojave separately?

C

Ask a Question