Wajam Redirect Google to Yahoo search adware removal help!

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am having an issue where when I do a google search, it redirects to yahoo search, but shows as search.yahoo wajam. I cannot figure out how to remove this. I tried Malwarebytes and it is not picking it up. I tried chrome extensions and wajam is not listed. Anything I can do. This happens on all browsers. I am assuming it is spyware?

Thanks,
Matt

Reaction score
One of the best anti-virus programs you can use is ClamXAv, available from here:

https://www.clamxav.com/

You can use it for free for 30 days. When you run it, let ClamXav scan each "level" it presents to you. It is very effective program.

Reaction score
You're welcome.

Cannot say for sure whether it will find it or not. But, although I was not having any specific issues, I remember once scanning one of my Macs with Malwarebytes, and it did not find anything. Then, when I used ClamXav, it did find a couple of "suspicious" files.

As I said, you need to let ClamXav scan each of the "levels" it presents to you. From what I remember, going from bottom to top of their list, it took longer each time for ClamXav to complete the scan. I guess you could just start with the top level, and go take a break. That will include all the lower "levels". But again, it will take some time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nothing seems to work. I cannot stop google from redirecting to yahoo. That ClamXav ran for 2 days. It found lots, but then barely deleted anything. I think like 4 items total. Nothing changed.

Reaction score
Yes that just tells you to remove the extensions from the browser. But the extension for wajam is no where to be found.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK.

-Malwarebytes should find and remove it - what version are you running?
-Is there a Wajam app in your Applications folder?
-Do you have any third-party utilities like MacKeeper/CleanMyMac/etc?

C

Reaction score
Malwarebytes is the newest version. It is the free version though. I do not have anything wajam related. I think MacKeeper was removed. Let me know what you think?

Reaction score
I'm having the same exact issue - Google redirects to "Wajam Yahoo Search". Tried Malwarebytes and Avast. Have gone through extensions to no avail. Affecting both Chrome and Safari. Going to try ClamXAV now. If someone figures this out, a solution would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Great. Do you think that will work? The only issue I have is with that google redirect to yahoo (wajam.yahoosearch) Its just weird that it is on all 3 browsers.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It may. Depends on how Wajam installed itself. I have been researching it more, but haven't found anything additional as of yet.

C

Reaction score
Hello,

If Malwarebytes doesn't find anything, and you don't have the Wajam application in your Applications folder, you could try resetting Chrome and Safari:

Reset Chrome settings to default
How To Restore Safari's Default Settings

NOTE: You will lose settings, cookies, saved website passwords, etc.

C

Thanks. I tried the browser resets, but still no luck. Also tried several malware/virus scan programs. This little sucker does not want to be found. It does affect all browsers, so I wonder if that could be a clue as to where it might be. I'll stand by for more tips. :)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK.

As always, make sure you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data before attempting the following:

-In Finder, hold the Option key down and click on Go in the menu bar
-In the drop-down, click Library
-When you user Library folder window opens, in the following folder, see of there is anything with Wajam in the name and move them to the Trash:

Application Support
Caches
Containers
Group Containers
Internet Plug-Ins
LaunchAgents
Preferences
Saved Application State

DO NOT delete anything else, as you can easily cause other issues.

C

Reaction score
I FOUND IT! Cory - I was going through all the Library folders like you suggested when I took a break and went into my Applications folder. Within, I found something I somehow must've missed the first dozen times - an "app" called "SPI", which was actually a package. When I opened the package contents, I saw a plist file with text referring to "http://www.langeliertechnology.com/". That website loads blank, so I thought it suspicious. I took a chance and AppZap-ed it. My problem vanished. Google now loads perfectly without being redirected. I hope this helps anyone who encounters the same issue. Cory - thanks for all your help. I really appreciate your time.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Excellent...glad it's resolved!

Thanks for letting us know, in case it will help others with a similar issue.

Be well,

C

Reaction score
Mine is not resolved. I will search for this, but doubt I missed it. I had sorted my applications by date and deleted anything suspicious.

Ask a Question