redirected to unwanted websites

Reaction score
I am being redirected to various websites following a selection of a website from Google search. The address bar goes wild...multiple sites flash up before one eventually opens. After 2 or 3 times of trying, the selected website eventually opens. One of the main site that opens is w.w.w-epoclick-com (blank web page). Also can't access GMail account is this a related problem - a virus?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I am being redirected to various websites following a selection of a website from Google search. The address bar goes wild...multiple sites flash up before one eventually opens. After 2 or 3 times of trying, the selected website eventually opens. One of the main site that opens is w.w.w-epoclick-com (blank web page). Also can't access GMail account is this a related problem - a virus?

Hi Brad :)

I don't think your Mac has a virus but that your Macs DNS settings may have possibly been compromised, hence the website issues ...

Did you check the DNS settings on your router? It sounds like a DNS Insertion attack, and usually that's done at the router level. I recommend you do a hard reset of the router (look in the instruction manual, usually there's a small paperclip hole that you need to press and hold), and then configure it again fresh, with very secure passwords:

• a network password to access the wireless network (WPA password)
  • an admin password to protect the firmware from modification (much like password in Mac OS X)

Often infections as you describe are the result of not changing the default admin password for the router.

After you do a hard reset as suggested above, make sure to change the admin password to a secure password if this is the reason for your issue.

Have a read through this thread over at Apple - Support - Discussions

Here is another lengthy thread about epoclick.com that goes for about 4 pages:

Topic : A mac virus?

I'm hoping that the fix that was utilised over there will work for you too. :)

Ask a Question