VPN works but cannot connect to shared folders

arn

Reaction score
Hi all, first post here and am really hoping I can get a little help.

I recently (December) made the move from PC to Mac and have a MacBook Pro (late 2013) model. I have always worked a day from home and also work outside the normal 9-5, and have been able to do this via remote connection to our work server (files, folders and emails).

I have the server connection set up in the office, emails are all working fine, etc. I am now in the process of setting a remote connection up at home so I can continue as before working from home, though now from my Mac.

I have successfully set up a VPN and tested the remote desktop connection and am happy with that. The only problem I am having now is when trying to access any files and folders on the work server.

I have tried smb:// and the name of the server (same as when I am in the office) and also tried replacing the server name with the IP address which is also used for the VPN. No matter what I put I still get the error:

"There was a problem connecting to the server '(whatever I try here)'.
The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Please check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again."

The server is definitely working as there are people in the office using it and I have just tested it with my Windows laptop and it is connecting fine as always.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful. I asked our external IT company for a quote to set this up and they said £750 so thought I'd do a bit of searching and asking first!

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Dan

Ask a Question