geo

Reaction score
should I get a vpn?

best one to use?

pay with debit card?

can I turn it on and off?

how to uninstall ?

Reaction score
I have the Opera browser, and it has a VPN feature. I use it sometimes, and it works well. And it's free!

Reaction score
The question is why do you want one? Probably like most people it pisses us off to know we are constantly tracked online. After researching anonymity online for a couple of years I can tell you it is a long road and becoming almost impossible. Thanks to Edward Snowden several laws were changed and I hope it helps a little.

Most people knowledgeable on the subject use the Tor browser as well as a VPN located in a country with very strong personal privacy laws such as The Netherlands. In the US most VPN's sell your info even though they may say they don't or say they don't keep logs of your activity.

A good VPN will have a way for you to pay anonymously. Credit card or debit card ain't......it leaves tracks. :))

There are various browsers that claim to have VPN qualities and there are add-ons for firefox and chrome that do the same thing. But they are only changing your ISP to another country and there is much more data left behind for someone who is actually looking and knows what they are doing. So they are actually worthless if you really need to be anonymous.

Check out a video on youtube called "Why you should consider getting a VPN." It's by a guy named David A. Cox.
I respect him a lot and was surprised how much research he did finding a VPN. I was even more surprised he found one in the U.S. But most of us don't need the absolute privacy that some people do like high profile reporters and a few other professions need. Some peoples lives are actually on the line. But most of us just want privacy so I can see how one in the US would be ok for most people.

There is a book called "The art of invisibility" by Kevin Mitnick that is good. The release date was 2017 so the info is not obsolete. He was also actually a hacker and not just a writer that read 10 books and then wrote one. :))
You'll learn to encrypt files on your computer and e mail or messages and a ton of things if you don't already.
Other things like stop using Google.....use Startpage or DuckDuckgo. I use both. Google collects all your data and sells it and also uses it to decide what to show you in your searches and even causes you to be shown a certain price for something when I might see another price. You may look at buying a watch from Amazon then start seeing ads on your computer of watches constantly following you around......right??? We have all seen that and probably added an adblocker. That is crap caused by google. You will learn all these things if you start reading a little on the subject.
The youtube videos of interviews with Julian Assange and Edward Snowdon are invaluable if you have the time. Very fascinating and informative and a bit depressing. I was not surprised when I learned about government contracts with Facebook,
Google, Microsoft and Amazon and others to supply information and data. But in a couple of Julian Assange interviews he mentions malware that is built in to Apple computers built since 2013. It isn't on the harddrive so you have to be an expert to remove it. I am sure some people will call this BS....but it isn't Julian Assange that says it exists......it is the CIA and NSA e mails that were uncovered. You can read this in various places or buy the Wikileaks books and read the e mails. You will also hear a bit about it in the documentary about Wikileaks called "Risk" a couple of times also.
Now Apple is supposedly making their computers untrackable or something. I doubt that anyone believes they would suddenly do an "about face" all of a sudden.
Sort of a long winded post.....sorry. Good luck.

Reaction score
Well, I feel "safer" using Opera with its VPN feature. There are some things one does where such "privacy" is important.

But you do make an excellent point about using Google for searches. I'll try the others you mentioned.

Ask a Question