Listening to port on wrong IP (VPN)

Reaction score
Macbook Air 10.10.5

My Mac is connected via PureVPN client behind router.
I do this simply because the application I use for work needs a port forwarding, and often times office network doesn't have port forwarding available for me (I travel to different businesses). So I run VPN client on my Mac with Remote Port Forwarding.

Everything works flawlessly EXCEPT for one specific application.
Obviously, my Mac would have two IP addresses. One Local IP address that connects to the local network, and VPN IP address that connects to the VPN server somewhere in the country.

When I check the WORKING application on netstat, it is either listening on Port on VPN IP address, or listening on all ( says *.xxxxx where xxxxx is a port number)

However, this one application that does not work, listens to the port of the Local IP. There is no option in the setting where I can specify the IP address of which the application would listen to.

Is there a way where I can reroute/remap (sorry don't know the terminology) the IP address it is supposed to listen to?

Thank you in advance.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

This is an interesting issue. Assuming all other apps work with your setup, what is the one app that isn't playing nice with the VPN?

C

Reaction score
It's the Sound Streaming software by Source-Element.

It is very strange, because all the other software works (Even file sharing application!). And of course, UPnP is disabled.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

Initial thoughts:

-Does your Mac have a static IP address either on it's own or via the VPN? It is required for that software, especially when using port forwarding.
-Are you using any form of port forwarding?
-Do you have any software/hardware firewalls enabled/turned on?

C

Ask a Question