Portable SSD for audio samples. What specs are important?

Reaction score
I just bought a MacBook Pro and will use it for music production when I am on the go. I am trying to match my setup so that it mirrors my desktop machine as much as possible as far as all the software and plugins are concerned.

However, for all my sample libraries I need a good portable SSD. Besides being compact, I was hoping some of you could tell me what specs are important with regards to streaming the audio off the SSD so that my projects run smoothly even with a lot going on?

Super fast write speeds are less of an issue, I am more interested in a drive that really supports my Macbook. I have read that some portable SSDs have different buffer & ram configs that allow the laptop to do less work on that end, thereby maximizing overall performance.

If anyone can point me in the right direction as to what else to look for in a good portable SSD I would really appreciate it!!

Reaction score
Samsung SSDs are about the best ones you can use with Macs, whether internal or external. I have an Samsung 840 Pro 256 gig SSD inside my Mac Min i, two Samsung 850 Pro 512 gig SSDs installed inside nice, slim Orico enclosures that I connect to either of my Macs (via USB 3.0), and recently I purchased a Samsung 860 EVO 500 gig SSD, and again installed it inside a nice, slim Orico enclosure. It is an excvellent SSD, and has had numerous, excellent reviews. Amazon has it for $73, which is an excellent price:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-500G...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0781Z7Y3S

So, do you want to run software on the external SSD? Need more clarity as to how exactly you want to use the external SSD.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! My main need is streaming my audio sample libraries off of the external ssd. I work with audio recording programs and some of my projects have a lot of audio tracks playing back simultaneously. I was thinking about a 500 gigabyte drive and partitioning it so one half is a back up of my main OS drive and the other half would be for the audio sample libraries.

Reaction score
Cool! That Samsung 500 gig 860 EVO SSD would be perfect: And here is the Orico enclosure I mentioned (and have):

https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-USB3-0...t=&hvlocphy=9033274&hvtargid=pla-761431563592

I have 3 of them, and they work very well. I highly recommend them.

Also, what backup program do you use? Most people on here use Time Machine, which is OK, but I (and some others) use SuperDuper!, which creates a bootable backup/clone of your internal drive. That's right, I said bootable (Carbon Copy Cloner is s similar, stellar product). It definitely makes recovery much easier, and also is the way to go when one wants to do a clean, fresh installation of a newer Mac OS. Here is a link for it:

https://shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the suggestions! I have looked into both the drive and enclosure and they are both on the top of my list!

Reaction score
I ended up buying the EVO 860 and the enclosure you recommended...but the enclosure is too deep. the HD rattles around in there. The length is a perfect fit but I had to put a couple of small folded up pieces of paper inside in order for the HD to stay put and not move. Not thrilled about that. I am not angry and you were absolutely trying to help. I just want an enclosure that fits snug. Did you encounter this??

Reaction score
Most of the time, I have those cases/SSDs just sitting near my Mac Mini. But I did just "shake" them, and yes, it is not a "perfect", tight fit. Can't really say I've noticed before, but it has never caused me an issue using them. Also, when we travel, I do pack one of them in my laptop bag for use with my Mac Book Air. Again, never had an issue with them not being a tight fit.

I really don't know of a case with an exact tight fit. Given that I have been using those Orico enclosures for quite a long time, it never fazed me about the fit.

Reaction score
It is fine. I put some paper inside and now it does not rattle around. All is well that ends well.

Ask a Question