Very hot macbook

Reaction score
Hi all, just over a month ago I took my Macbook Pro to the store in Covent Garden as I've only had it 4 years (2020), it was running very hot and after putting it to sleep most times the next day it would have zero power and I would have to charge it up straight away the next morning.

They did a full reset, and I thought this would be a solution however it is still running very hot and this is after any unnecessary software was removed during the reset.

I am running Sonoma 14.3.1

I usually use it for teaching resources, web browsing and things like Powerpoint and Excel.

I am worried about doing any further updates.

It has a cycle of 477 so don't think it should be on it's last legs but without keeping it plugged in that is what it feels like and it still gets uncomfortably hot after about 30 minutes use.

Apple didn't find any other issues and am wondering if anyone has experienced anything difficult.
There are no other software running in the background that I'm aware of and this was also found when I spoke to the Apple worker.

Anyone have any ideas or experienced this themselves.

Beginning to fear that Apple may have lost a customer here.

Reaction score
Is/are the fan/fans working? I think that model has two fans. Also, charging will cause heat so leaving it unplugged and asleep over night then charging it while in use may be a bad idea, why not leave it on AC connection to charge over night? Personally I never unplug mine except when I use it away from my desk.

Lastly, you might like to try Macs Fan Control available free from the developer's site here; https://crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control/download
It will tell you fan/s speed and CPU temp, battery temp, GPU temp as well as other points. You can just leave it on "auto" in which case it does nothing but monitor temp and fan speeds. Alternatively you can set a temp range for fan speed to increase. I've used this on all my Macbooks for years and it's very handy for high CPU demand apps.

Reaction score
I suggest, after doing a complete backup, is the update Sonoma to version 14.4.1. The latest update addressed not just bugs and shortcomings in 14.3.x, but also critical bugs in 14.4. This article was recently authored by a very knowledgeable Mac expert:

If, after the update, you still notice the overheating, use Activity Monitor, select the CPU category, and look for the processes showing a lot of load. If some don’t appear to be important processes (e.g. third-party apps), quit them and see if the temperature issue improves. I use a free app, MenuMeters, and set it to display system activity on the menu bar. It’s a very convenient way to display a number of system status updates in real time—a great deal easier that running Activity Monitor, which by itself also uses a lot of CPU load. Good luck.

Ask a Question