iPhoto very slow moving through pics

Reaction score
I'm experiencing a very restricting slowness in iPhoto.

When I have double clicked on a pic within an event and want to move to next pic by means of the right or left arrow, it moves there right away for the first three or four times and then just stops and the beach ball spins for 30+ seconds before moving to the next one and this will reoccur every time from then on.

I have tried resetting the PRAM and SMC also starting iPhoto whilst holding the command and option key down and verifying permissions and rebuilding the iPhoto library with no effect.

I am running iPhoto 09 v.8.1.2(424) under OS 10.6.8 on a MB PRO 5,4 - 2.53 ghz w.4gb 1067 mhm DDR3 Ram.

I have the install disks for Snow Leopard. Would the easy thing be to discard iPhoto and reinstall it. If so how do I get rid of any ancillary iPhoto files or will all be gone if I just drag iPhoto to the trash?

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can give with this.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

There could be several reasons this is happening.

-How many photos are in your iPhoto Library?
-How much free space is left on your hard drive?
-Do you have any third-party utilities like MacKeeper or CleanMyMac installed?
-Do you have an antivirus app installed?
-Are you having any other slowness/freezing issues?

I wouldn't delete iPhoto and reinstall yet, let's see if we can resolve the issue first.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

There could be several reasons this is happening.

-How many photos are in your iPhoto Library?
-How much free space is left on your hard drive?
-Do you have any third-party utilities like MacKeeper or CleanMyMac installed?
-Do you have an antivirus app installed?
-Are you having any other slowness/freezing issues?

I wouldn't delete iPhoto and reinstall yet, let's see if we can resolve the issue first.

C
Cory ... thanks for your reply
- 1881 photos in library
- 277Gb available on 320 Gb drive
- Clean my Mac installed
- No antivirus software installed
- No slowness problems anywhere else

Thanks ...Peter

Reaction score
Cory ...

I have uninstalled all components of Clean My Mac but this has not solved the slow moving iPhoto problem.

Thanks ... Peter

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the additional information.

It could be a hardware issue with the disk drive - not a full failure yet, but some corruption in the area where the iPhoto Library is stored. Two things to try:

-Create a new iPhoto Library and add some photos to see if the issue persists.
-Run a hardware surface scan using a third-party app like Drive Genius or TechTool Pro. If you don;t have either of them, you could get the drive checked out at an Apple Store.
-I still don't think a reinstall of iPhoto would solve the issue.

I would also highly recommend making some form of Time Machine or other backup of your data, in case the drive is in the beginning stages of failure.

C

Ask a Question