Using Microsoft Word with Yosemite

Reaction score
I have successfully upgraded from OS X 10.7.5 to Yosemite on a MacBook Air computer and am now in the process of doing the same on my other laptop computer, an elderly but still functioning MacBook Pro. On this computer, as on the Air, I have routinely been using Microsoft Word which I very much prefer to Pages.

However on the MacBook Pro the Yosemite installer informs me that Microsoft Word is a PowerPC app that will not run on OS X 10.10. It invites me to either cancel or continue.

What will happen if I continue? Will I have any problem accessing and working with the many hundreds of Word documents on the computer which I use routinely? I would like to be able to continue using Word as I have done for these past many years.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

What version of Microsoft Word/Office are you running? It depends on which version as to whether it will continue to function. However, if the Yosemite installer is giving you that message, I would bet that it will not work and you would have to purchase an upgrade or find another solution.

C

Reaction score
You stated that you are using Microsoft Word/Office on both machines, but as Cory alluded to, maybe on the MacBook Pro, the version is different. I use Office 2011 (Word, Excel, and Outlook) on both of my machines (a late 2012 Mac Mini, and a mid 2013 MacBook Air), and I have kept the versions on both machines in sync. The latest version (update) of Office 2011 is 14.4.8, and it works fine for me with OS 10.10.2 (on both machines).

Given that you got the message on the MacBook Pro that the version of Word is a PowerPC app, it would seem that you need to upgrade that version of office 2011 on the MacBook Pro.

Reaction score
Thanks for this. So it looks like I'll have to update from my current Word X. However in the App Store I can't find Office 2011. A search for "Microsoft word for office" brings up a bewlldering array of variations on the theme of word processors. Which would be the one to go for?

Reaction score
So, you have Office 2011 on the MacBook Air, but Office X on the MacBook Pro. Is that correct?

Reaction score
Correct. That hasn't stopped me transferring documents from one to the other (using a .doc/.docx converter).

Reaction score
Thanks for perservering.

Yes, that would seem to be the solution. But where do I obtain Office 2011? It doesn't seem to be available on the online App store.

Reaction score
Do you have the original installation file for Office 2011 on the MacBook Air? If you do, than just use a method to copy it to the MacBook Pro. For example, purchase a Flash Drive, and use that to do the transfer.

If you don't have the original installation file for office 2011 (not sure how that could have happened, unless you purchased the machine used and the prior owner had it installed, but without the original installation file), there are places where you can get it. For example:

The Apple Store: http://store.apple.com/us/product/HB604/microsoft-office-for-mac-home-and-business-2011

Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/office-...-mac/7023127.p?id=1218838126792&skuId=7023127

By the way, all of those are the Home and Business edition, which includes Outlook. If you just want the Home & Student Edition, it is less:

Best Buy - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/office-...-mac/7016136.p?id=1218824951308&skuId=7016136

Reaction score
I've tried to copy from the MacBook Air to the MacBook Pro via a flash drive but it seems to lack an installer.
The Microsoft Office 2011 doesn't seem to contain anything called an installer or installation file. So is there nothing for but to buy Office 2011 all over again?

Reaction score
It would be helpful if you can let us know how Office 2011 "got" on the MacBook Air? If it was already installed, then there is the possibility you would not have the original installation file (and product key).

Usually, one would have a file that should be entitled "Microsoft Office 2011.dmg", along with a Product Key for Office 2011.

Reaction score
As I recall, I bought the package at the local Apple store (in Paris, where I live). There wasn't a disc, I seem to recall - it amounted simply to a download, and the package indicated how to make the download. I'm not sure I'd be able to trace the material provided in the package.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Problem solved. The links provided in your last mail set me on the right track and though it took me a while to work everything out I got there in the end and Office 2011 is now installed.
Many thanks.

Reaction score
Yes, once the installation was completed I was offered the latest update, so that is installed too.
Best regards.

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a supplementary question. The reason I upgraded to Yosemite was that both my computers - the very portable MacBook Air and the somewhat older MacBook Pro - were becoming sluggish. Too often I'd click on an item - an application, a document, whatever - and that little ol' wheel would start turning and you'd just have to sit and watch it turning. On the Air computer, the upgrade seems to have done the trick. Docs and apps open right away and the screen rarely freezes while the wheel spins itself out.
But with the Pro, there's been no sign of improvement. On the contrary, if anything it's become even more sluggish, whether opening written files now in Office 2011 or opening applications or browsers. It's frustrating to the point where I feel I'm wasting so much time watching the wheel spin that I'd do better to trade the machine in and get a new one.
What would you recommend?

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a supplementary question. The reason I upgraded to Yosemite was that both my computers - the very portable MacBook Air and the somewhat older MacBook Pro - were becoming sluggish. Too often I'd click on an item - an application, a document, whatever - and that little ol' wheel would start turning and you'd just have to sit and watch it turning. On the Air computer, the upgrade seems to have done the trick. Docs and apps open right away and the screen rarely freezes while the wheel spins itself out.
But with the Pro, there's been no sign of improvement. On the contrary, if anything it's become even more sluggish, whether opening written files now in Office 2011 or opening applications or browsers. It's frustrating to the point where I feel I'm wasting so much time watching the wheel spin that I'd do better to trade the machine in and get a new one.
What would you recommend?

First, could you let us know the exact Mac models you have?

Secondly, if the MacBook Pro has a "standard" 5400 rpm hard drive, they are notoriously slow. And, if one does very little/no disk maintenance/repairs on such a drive, then become even slower. What you need to do is try and perform some disk maintenance/repairs on the drive. Disk Utility is a "decent" start for this, but you should consider using Onyx (you can get it from here: http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html (second link), and Tweak and Tuneup from the Apple Store. Tweak and Tuneup has some Optimization routines that could help.

In any event, it is best to perform "periodic" maintenance and/or repairs on hard disks and/or SSDs. Myself, I do 3 tasks associated with that for both of my machines once a week, and Onyx is one of the products I use. I also use Tech Tool Pro, and I would strongly recommend using such a product (Disk Warrior is another excellent choice, although not as convenient to use as Tech Tool Pro. Also, Tech Tool Pro performs a number of useful, additional tasks (especially the new version that just recently came out)).

Finally, you might want to consider replacing the internal hard disk inside your Mac Book Pro with an SSD. With an SSD, you'll definitely see a significant increase in speed. I did exactly that with my Mac Mini, replacing the slow 1 TB 5400 rpm drive (went inside a nice, slim external case) with a Samsung 840 Pro 256 gig SSD, and I am so, so pleased with that decision!

Ask a Question