Using a small ssd to boot, can I install and run apps on ther hardrive?

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the Mac and wondering if anyone could help me. I am running MacOs High sierra on an older macPro. I wanted to speed it up a little and bought a SSD to boot from. But I wanted to be able to run applications and store files my original hard drive. Is there a way to run apps from the hard drive? And also how would install new apps to the hard drive and not the ssd?

Thank you for any help

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact model Mac?
-What brand/model/size SSD?
-How was it installed?

Applications install on whatever drive the Mac is started up from. If you install OS X/macOS on the SSD and startup from it, any apps you install will install on it by default. Some apps you can install in other places, but most require being in the Applications folder on the startup drive, as they install other components in the Library/System folders, and need to be in that folder to update properly.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

I am running a 2008 MacPro 3,1 . Patched to run high Sierra. It is a WD blue 512 gb sata ssd 2.5 inch. Since I didn't patch it and really don't know how. I just cloned the drive that came with it and it works fine. But I want to be able to install apps and store files on a seperate hard drive and not use up all the SSD.

I guess that may not be possible.

I guess I will have to just purchase a larger ssd to be able to use the this extra performance out the performance of this old Mac.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It depends on the apps you are installing. You can startup in Sierra from the SSD and store files on another HD for sure. It is just that some apps require their support files to be on the startup drive.

Scenario:
WD SSD - OS X/macOS and apps
Other HDs - store files

Does that help?

C

Ask a Question