user permissions

Reaction score
I hope someone can help me with this problem. I recently bought a disk burner and last night I was experimenting, learning how to put files on a disk. I successfully copied some files (Word documents) to a disk and later wanted to delete one of the files. I couldn't delete it and in the process of trying to figure out how to delete it, I somehow changed something related to user permissions. I later learned that the reason I couldn't delete the item from the disk is because it is a CR-R disk and not a CD-RW disk. But the problem is that ever since I fooled around with the user permissions for the disk, I have not been able to open any of my Word documents on my hard drive. Every time I try to open one, I get a message that says that the file is in use by another user. This has never happened before.

Why did changing something related to the disk affect Word docs that are on the computer's hard drive? And, more importantly, how I can get things back to the way they were?

I have an old Mac G3 with OS X 10.2.8. Please let me know if you need any more information.

Reaction score
Have you logged out and back on? You can always repair permissions. Run Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility). Open the application, select the mounted volume for your hard drive and click "repair disk permissions."

Reaction score
Fix permissions should fix it. You should definitely not mess around with permissions if you aren't familiar with how they work.

Ask a Question