Use old Mac mini as an independent extra drive?

Reaction score
I have just bought a new M1 Mac mini, the base model. I have been so pleased with my old 2012 model.
It won’t be worth much, although I upgraded the Ram to 16gb. It’s the base 500 gb hd.
I am wondering if when I fully erase and clean it out I could keep it as a seperate drive for say backups. Currently time machine backs up to a seperate 1tb drive, not an ssd.
If it is worth keeping like this, presumably I connect it simply via usb? Would there be any significant disadvantages?
Appreciate any thoughts and help please
Chris

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi & welcome aboard :)

I think it's a sensible idea to hang onto your older Mac Mini and keep it for back up and even for running certain apps that through time drop off the support list. This is what I do with my older Core 2 Duo iMac from yesteryear. Although I connect to it via WiFi over usb. This is just my preference.

I'm starting to think that my next Mac will be a Mini as they just seem unbeatable.

Cheers,

Marty.

Reaction score
Hi & welcome aboard :)

I think it's a sensible idea to hang onto your older Mac Mini and keep it for back up and even for running certain apps that through time drop off the support list. This is what I do with my older Core 2 Duo iMac from yesteryear. Although I connect to it via WiFi over usb. This is just my preference.

I'm starting to think that my next Mac will be a Mini as they just seem unbeatable.

Cheers,

Marty.
Thanks for that, others say i will need to logon with the 2012 Mac mini, not use usb. The new Mac mini has thunderbolt connectors if that's any help? Can you advise on the WIFI connection you mention please

Incidentally,my old Mini ws jus getting tired and slow, but i had been so pleased with it, hence new M1 model, which so far i am delighted with
Chris

Ask a Question