Workaround to use a Mini on older iMac?

Reaction score
I bought my iMac in September 2009. I suspect it may die soon. So I looked to see if I could use the existing display with a Mac mini—I don’t need a lot of storage.
According to Apple, the oldest I can do that with is Late 2009-- and— even though I bought it in the Fall mine is showing as “Early 2009” I am somewhat peeved. I never ever thought to check that at the time—was new to Macs.

Is there any sort of a workaround? Some other equipment that would act as a go-between to make the “early” display work with a new Mini? I really don’t want to fork out for a whole new setup.

Any ideas would be so appreciated

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately, your iMac is one revision model too old to use Target Display Mode (TDM). There aren't any adapters/go-betweens that will make TDM work with your Macs.

Depending on the Mac mini, you may be able to connect it to your television, or pickup an inexpensive computer display to use with it.

C

Ask a Question