Linking an older Mac Pro G5 to either a 2012 Mac Pro or Mac Mini - Possible?

Reaction score
Hello - here is my situation hope someone can help. - I have an early Mac Pro G5. It has OS 9 and OS 10.4 operating systems. [told you it was older]. The delema is this. I have literally thousands and thousands of important documents on this computer that I can’t just dump [yes they are backed up on another external drive]. Some of these were created on Macwrite [system 9] and most on ClarisWorks [system 10]. —- I have no intention nor will I get rid of this computer in fact it works perfectly. The delema is that I cannot upgrade safari anymore for doing research and most sites simply will not open. Another delema is that I want to do some more sophisticated photo editing. The old Mac can’t do that. The solution is to simply get a new Mac - either a 2012 Mac Pro or a newer Mac Mini [any advice here?] I have a good Apple monitor and would like to use it for both computers [can that be done and how?] - [can the two computers, old and newer be linked in any way - to share that same monitor?] - [could I use one wireless keyboard and mouse For both?]
thanks for taking the time to respond and thanks for being here - yes I am that old :)

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Understood about keeping the trusty G5 for your old documents. ;)

As far as using a display/keyboard/mouse with two Macs, that would require a device called a KVM switch. A KVM switch allows you to connect the display and input devices to it, then cables go to the two Macs. You then press a button to switch between them.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work for Bluetooth/wireless keyboards and mice. In addition, because the ports on the newer Macs can be quite different than the G5, it would be impossible to find a KVM switch compatible with the two Macs out of the box...you would probably need adapters, which would probably cause incompatibility issues with the KVM switch.

Bottom line, you would need to buy a display and keyboard/mouse for the second Mac.

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory - I appreciate the input. I do take it however that with such a KVM Switch I might be able to use the one monitor possibly? But not link the computer. DI’d I understand that correctly?
thanks again.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

A KVM may work for just the display, but because of the DVI port on the G5, it may be next to impossible to find one that will work with your setup.

C

Reaction score
I have a PowerMac running Tiger that I sometimes use for certain tasks, connecting to it using the Network connection via ethernet. I can easily pass files back and forth this way. The Power PC has its own monitor and keyboard.

Reaction score
Hello - here is my situation hope someone can help. - I have an early Mac Pro G5. It has OS 9 and OS 10.4 operating systems. [told you it was older]. The delema is this. I have literally thousands and thousands of important documents on this computer that I can’t just dump [yes they are backed up on another external drive]. Some of these were created on Macwrite [system 9] and most on ClarisWorks [system 10]. —- I have no intention nor will I get rid of this computer in fact it works perfectly. The delema is that I cannot upgrade safari anymore for doing research and most sites simply will not open. Another delema is that I want to do some more sophisticated photo editing. The old Mac can’t do that. The solution is to simply get a new Mac - either a 2012 Mac Pro or a newer Mac Mini [any advice here?] I have a good Apple monitor and would like to use it for both computers [can that be done and how?] - [can the two computers, old and newer be linked in any way - to share that same monitor?] - [could I use one wireless keyboard and mouse For both?]
thanks for taking the time to respond and thanks for being here - yes I am that old :)
Hi AJ - just FYI - you should be able to upgrade the 10.4 to 10.5.8.
I milked a G4 desktop for 15 years & 10.5.8 was as far as that could be upgraded. U may need to dig on the Apple site, but that upgrade should still be there. I have had 2 Mini & would recommend one, but find one with 3 GH or more, 16 Gb or more of ram, i7 processor. Mine is late 2014 with those specs, so you should be able to find one (I don't know what specs are available on a new Mini). I also still use a G4 PowerBook, so I can still use my CS3 Photoshop. Safari is very slow (also on 10.5.8) but I use the Mini (10.13.6) for everything except Photoshop.

Ask a Question