Urgent help re virus message

Reaction score
C,

I'm pretty sure it worked. I haven't had any popups since I "properly" installed the Anti-Malware about an hour and a half ago. I greatly appreciate your and honestone's help and guidance. Thank you, C, for going to the trouble to spell out step by step exactly what it was I needed to do, as I don't know much about the workings of a computer..

This forum is great,

Ed.

Reaction score
Cory is absolutely correct. Also, what will happen is the first time you click either on the magnifying glass next to the word "Scan", or on the word Scan, a "message" will quickly appear, and then quickly go away. You then need to click on either magnifying glass, or on the word Scan, again, and then the software will do the scan. When it is done, it will display the results.

By the way, version 1.2.4 of Malwarebytes was released today.

@honestone and Cory,
The results were displayed and I'm having no popups. Very nice.
I am being asked if I want Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to automatically check for updates. Should I allow this? Will this include the up-dateed 1.2.4 version of Malwarebytes.
Thanks,
Ed.

Reaction score
Cory is absolutely correct. Also, what will happen is the first time you click either on the magnifying glass next to the word "Scan", or on the word Scan, a "message" will quickly appear, and then quickly go away. You then need to click on either magnifying glass, or on the word Scan, again, and then the software will do the scan. When it is done, it will display the results.

By the way, version 1.2.4 of Malwarebytes was released today.

@honestone and Cory,
The results were displayed and I'm having no popups. Very nice.
I am being asked if I want Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to automatically check for updates. Should I allow this? Will this include the up-dateed 1.2.4 version of Malwarebytes.
Thanks,
Ed.

I like to "control" updates myself, and also have a copy of the latest updater (I actually keep the last two updates). It is OK to have a program automatically check for updates, but then it is up to you as to whether you want to have the update automatically applied (and thus will not, at that time, obtain a copy of the updater), or manually download the updater itself and install it, or do a combination of both.

Also, I misstated when that newer version came out. I have two Macs, and have just about the same software installed on both. Given that I rarely have pop-up/malware issues, I tend not to run Malwarebytes "that often". On my MacBook Air, I had not ran it in a while, and that is the machine I used to make the post above (I am posting this new one on my MacMini). Thus, when I started up Malwarebytes earlier on the MacBook Air, it was version 1.2.3, and thus alerted me to the availability of the new version. I subsequently downloaded that version myself, and installed it myself (part of the reason for doing that was that when I got the message about the update being available, it also mentioned about the possibility of issues involved with attempting to have the update applied automatically).

I suspect that given you just recently downloaded the program, it is version 1.2.4. But, to confirm that, you can launch the program, and then where it says "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" (directly to the right of the black Apple symbol), click on that, and select "About Malwarebytes Anti-Malware", and it will tell you which version you have.

Reaction score
I did download version 1.2.4.584 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and have saved it to my desktop.

Thank you for all of your help, both Honestone and Cory. You guys were extremely helpful.

Ed.

Reaction score
I did download version 1.2.4.584 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and have saved it to my desktop.

Thank you for all of your help, both Honestone and Cory. You guys were extremely helpful.

Ed.

Cool! You might want to consider having a folder on your internal drive entitled "Useful Software" (or something like that), and place software in there. You could even have separate sub-folders for each program you place there. That is what I have. I also have a folder entitled "Upgrades", and this is where I have copies of Apple-Related software (like new versions of the OS, new versions of iTunes, etc.), TechTool Pro (critical disk maintenance/repair program), Canon printer Drivers, and Quicken 2007.

Again, it is up to you how you want to organize it.

One other important question: are you making backups to an external device? That would be good, and in fact is just about essential. Time Machine is OK for that, but a backup/cloning program like SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner (the backups are also bootable) is better.

Ask a Question