Entourage 2008 Help - urgent Please!

Reaction score
Can someone please give me a simple tutorial on restoring Entourage from a Time Machine backup?

Every time I try this Entourage tells me it can't access the data.

I have tried this directly as a Time Machine Restore (Main Identity) and from User data files that I've dragged over from the external drive and manually replaced them.

When I restarted my computer today Entourage says it can't access the data . Latest OSX, iMac.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Reaction score
I just did a search about Entourage and OS 10.12/Sierra compatibility, and I did not see anything definitive as to whether it is compatible or not. One thing for sure, though, is that Microsoft no longer supports Office 2008.

This link from the search does not look promising:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7688075?start=0&tstart=0

Note that 1) one needs to be on V12.3.6, and 2) possibly rebuilding the Microsoft Office 2008 database will help.

BTW, here is a link where you can get V12.3.6:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36897

Sorry I cannot be of more assistance, as I use Office 2016 (and thus Outlook 2016).

Reaction score
Many thanks for the reply.
I tried the update V12 link but it wouldn't install on my machine for some reason?

I can't seem to rebuild the database, it only verifies it and then after half an hour says that the data is not accessible.

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, but it looks like you will not be able to use Office 2008 (and thus Entourage) with Sierra, OS 10.12. If you do decide to upgrade, I would strongly suggest that you move to Office 2016, as it's only a matter of time that Microsoft will stop supporting Office 2011.

I guess the other thing you can do is 1) use a different EMail client, and 2) use something like LibreOffice (https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/35446/libreoffice). I believe Cory Cooper uses it, so hopefully he can provide some insights about it.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-You may have to apply the Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Service Pack 2 (12.2.0) first, as it is a requirement for the update that honestone provided above.
-No, I do not use LibreOffice personally, although it is a good alternative to Microsoft Office for those that do not own it. I don't believe you can migrate your Entourage files to it either.

Not sure why the database can't be rebuilt...it does sound as if it may be corrupted. The Office updates may or may not help in this situation.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I've now uploaded Office 2011 but I can't seem to be able to import any old Entourage Files. The folders import but no emails.

I have the data backed up on an external hard drive via Time Machine.

I am importing Main Identity into Outlook but can't see any emails.

Reaction score
Yes I did. I'm not sure about this bit though. Do you think I need to restart the computer to get these emails to show up? I'm on a POP account.

• If you used a Microsoft Exchange account with Entourage, all items in the Exchange account are downloaded from the Exchange server after the import process is complete. Any rules or schedules related to the Exchange account will need to be reconfigured in Outlook.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It can't hurt to restart, but if it is a POP account and not an Exchange account, that won't apply.

C

Reaction score
Then I don't understand why none of the emails are showing.

Do you think I may need Office 2016 for OXS Sierra?

I have been told that it won't import Entourage data.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I am not sure either but it sounds like the database is corrupted, thus they are not being imported properly.

-How many emails are there that you can estimate?
-The folders successfully migrated, but not the emails, correct?
-Does the account show up in Outlook and can you send/receive new emails?

C

Reaction score
The folder is 13gb.
Correct, the emails didn't migrate
No, I'm being asked to enter all my account details again.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Since you have a Time Machine backup, you could try entering the account details. When that is complete, maybe the emails will show up in the folders.

C

Reaction score
Neither of the links above will let me install on my Hard Drive.

I've set the account up again and new emails are coming in but none of the ones on local folders are showing up.

I guess this is a start.

Is there any way I can find those emails in the old Entourage Main Identity do you know?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Neither of the links above will let me install on my Hard Drive.

Kim,

I wonder if your internal drive is "corrupted/damaged", and can be resurrected/fixed by software? Do you happen to have either TechTool Pro or Disk Warrior? If not, then your only alternative is to try Disk Utility and see if that will help. Given that you have a backup, it should be OK to try it.

I do, though, have one question. How did you upgrade to Sierra, OS 10.12? Ddi you do an "upgrade in place", ie, run the upgrade "on top of" whatever prior OS you were using, or did you do a clean installation of OS 10.12 (now up to OS 10.12.1, and there is already a second beta of OS 10.12.2)?

Additionally, do you still have the file "Install macOS Sierra" some place?

In any event, what you need to do is run Disk Utility in an "isolated" manner. To do that, you need to boot to the (hidden) Recovery HD partition on your drive. This link shows how to boot to it, and what the capabilities are:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

So, after you boot to that partition, you would select 4th choice, Disk Utility, on the menu, and then attempt to Repair your internal drive. It would be good to do the repair at both the Volume (ie, top) and Partition (ie, secondary) levels.

Also, you should download, install, and run the excellent freeware program Onyx. You can get it from here:

http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

You MUST get Version 3.2.1 (the first one on the list), given that you are using Sierra. One of the features of Onyx is that it can Repair Permissions. Even since El Capitan, the Mac OS supposedly takes care of that, but I see just the opposite. Every time I do my weekly disk cleanup/maintenance/repair, and backup, tasks, I always run Onyx first, and it always Repairs Permissions. And in fact, I need to run it at least twice (this is true for both of my Macs). It also has some useful clean up features.

Purchasing and installing Office 2016 will not resolve your "Entourage" issues, as you need to do the repairs first.

Reaction score
Thanks very much. A lot to take in.

I checked the internal drive with Disk Utility and it seems ok.

I upgraded to Siera through the App Store on top of El Capitan.

Onyx installed and no problems found on disc.

I feel I'm close but far.

Is there any program that could convert the Entourage email Main Identity Data into email files I could drag in maybe?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Did you check the drive with Disk Utility via the Recovery HD partition? You should still do that, and select Repair anyway.

Onyx is not really going to reveal any issues, although when you first launch it (after entering your password), it does give you the opportunity to check your internal drive. At least run the Repair Permissions feature of Onyx.

I am not aware of any method/software that will allow you to convert the Entourage Main Identity "file". What is unknown, of course, is if that file/those files (or any other files) are "damaged" on your Time Machine backup.

Again I ask, do you still have the file "Install macOS Sierra" someplace? It would be good if you did.

It's too bad you don't have a more robust disk maintenance/repair program, and in your case (given that you have upgraded to Sierra), you would need the "king" of such software, Disk Warrior.

I'm wondering, given that you have the backup, if it would be wise to "start from the beginning", that is, boot to the Recovery HD partition, use Disk Utility there to Erase and Format your internal drive, do a clean, "virgin" installation of Sierra, and then use Migration Assistant to "migrate"/copy your "stuff" from your Time Machine backup. You could then restart your machine, and then apply the OS 10.12.1 update, which you can get from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1897?locale=en_US

Of course, it is still a "possible" mystery as to whether Office 2008/Entourage is compatible with Sierra.

Reaction score
morning,

Yes I ran the Disk Utilities program and all is well. I don't have the Sierra disc - as mentioned, I updated from the App store.

I have tried again to Import the old data from my backed up Main Identity Entourage folder into Outlook 2011 - the data imports okay but none of the emails.

Last edited:

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
honestone said:
Again I ask, do you still have the file "Install macOS Sierra" someplace?

I don't have the Sierra disc - as mentioned, I updated from the App store.

Just to clarify:
  1. Open the App Store app on your Mac.
  2. A file named Install macOS Sierra downloads to your Applications folder.
  3. After download is complete, Install macOS Sierra opens automatically.
The file may or may not still be in your Applications folder. I'm not sure whether or not it automatically is deleted upon upgrade.

Reaction score
Not in there I don't think.

I have now managed to migrate some files from old entourage Identity but not all. The import seems to work from Outlook but stalls before it's loaded all the emails. Very frustrating and leads me to believe there's an email in there that's corrupting everything.

Ask a Question