Entourage 2008 Help - urgent Please!

Reaction score
You can try and do a search of "Install macOS Sierra" to see if it's any place.

Also, given that you already upgraded through the App store, it should be in your "Purchased" category. I say "should be", as I did download OS 10.12 when it first came out, but did not upgrade yet. The original "Install macOS Sierra" is in my Applications folder (along with a copy of it in another location). But, it does not show up in my "Purchased" category. I do see just about every prior "Mac OS X "whatever"" OS file that I did download previously, and in fact, there is a Download button next to each of them, in case I want one.

I had read previously that when launches the "Install OS whatever" file from the Applications folder and does the OS installation themselves, the file gets deleted from that folder. But, I have done my recent "upgrades" from my SuperDuper! backup, although I launch the installer file from the alternate location that I have it in, and it does not get deleted. But it looks like since Kim did the upgrade "in place", that the file did get deleted.

Reaction score
Okay, many thanks.

Seems like an Entourage Database is very likely to be corrupted when it is restored from Time Machine. I think that maybe my problem.

I am now using a software called emailchemy which is converting the old database into a file that Outlook can read.

What a nightmare this has been and I thank you all for your help and interest in this tedious subject!

Reaction score
Glad you found a solution, kim! Emailcherry looks like a worthwhile program.

Assuming all is good, I would strongly suggest that you do another Time Machine backup with all the "good" stuff, then run Disk Utility from the Recovery HD to have it repair your internal drive, both at the Volume and Partition levels.

Additionally, do you have version 14.6.9 of Office 2011? That is the latest one, and you can get it from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54014

One other thing you need to know is that you typically have to "hunt" for such upgrades on your own, so if I were you, I would go a google search in the "near future" of "Office 2011 V14.7" (that should be the next one), and always get such updates directly from Microsoft (like the link I provided above for V14.6.9).

Finally, for Outlook 2011, when you delete an EMail, it actually does not get permanently deleted. You should see a folder entitled "Main Identity", contained in /Users/username//Documents//Microsoft User Data/Office 2011 Identities. Inside the "Main Identity" folder is a file entitled "Database", and I believe that is the one that houses all your EMail stuff. You should rebuild that file as often as you feel necessary, and it will permanently remove deleted EMails (I used to do it once a week). Here is how to do that:

1. As usual, make sure you have a backup.

2. Quit all applications.

3. Hold down the Option key, and launch Outlook 2011. Keep holding the Option key down until you see the next dialogue.

4. In the Database Utility Window, select the database you want to maintain (should only be one, and it should say "Main Identity"), and then click Rebuild.

5. The Rebuilding Main Identity window will open and show the progress.

6. Click Done when that is completed.

This process actually first makes a copy of the Main Identity folder in that same location, with a slightly different name (can't exactly remember the name). There is really no reason to keep that "alternate/re-named" one around. So, to confirm that:

1. Launch Outlook 2011, and assuming it works (it should), that means the "new/modified" Main Identity folder is fine.

2. Quit Outlook, navigate to the location of the Main Identity/re-named Main Identity folders, move the renamed one to the trash, and empty the trash.

By the way, it would be good if you are doing similar clean up actions every day with stuff you no longer need. No sense to have unneeded files/folders, etc. taking up space.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Very kind of you to write all this and for your help. I really appreciate people helping others, especially for new members who have joined forums solely for help, and I do the same for others when I can help. Lots of typing and time but it makes the world go round.

Thank you.

Reaction score
You are very welcome. I have found out numerous things the same way, through helpful information provided by others. And that is true for other things besides Macs! Our automobiles are a perfect example of that, as I have obtained quite a lot of useful information to help me maintain our cars. I am only trying to return the favor!

By the way, for future planning purposes, as I stated above, eventually Microsoft will stop supporting Office 2011. Myself, I recently took care of that by obtaining Office 2016 (not an Office 365 subscription). Given that I keep my Macs "lean and clean", and I rebuilt that Office 2011 Main Identity "folder" once a week (also repairs it, as I suspect you gathered), when I first launched Outlook 2016, it did in excellent job in easily importing all my "stuff" from Outlook 2011 (All EMails, Account and ISP settings, etc.), and it has worked like a charm. So, it should be easier for you next time, if and when you upgrade to Office 2016.

And, please do not be afraid to ask ANY questions. There are times where folks have asked what seemed like "simple" questions, but I learned something from such exchanges. Shoot, that EMailcherry software you found sure looks like a winner! Hence, we all benefit, and I thank you for that tip.

Ask a Question