Please help--urgent--terrified I have a virus (program won't uninstall; overrode a staff privilege?)

Reaction score
Hi,

I downloaded the Soundflowerbed app from this website:
https://rogueamoeba.com/freebies/soundflower/

Here's some backstory:
When I tried to launched the application, nothing would show up, so I decided to uninstall it. I moved the app to the trash, but a window came up saying that I could not complete the app as it was still open, although it did not show up under "Force Quit."
When I pressed F3, a program I don't recognize--"Creative Cloud"--shows up on the bottom left corner, but unlike the rest of the applications, it has no window.
I managed to find the app under the "Activity Monitor." I forced it to quit.
When I tried, to move sunflower.pkg to the trash, I got the error that it "can't be moved to the Trash because it can't be deleted."
I went into Terminal, did the command rf, and dragged in the file.
I got the code "override rw-r--r--r [my name]/staff for [file path]?
I (stupidly?) pressed enter.
The sunflower.pkg file still won't go away. It ejects from My Devices, but whenever I try to click on it from my finder to delete it, it automatically opens the file.

What should I do?

TL;DR
I'm trying to figure out how to delete a file that can't be deleted through Force Quit or through the rf command.

I'm really new to all this so a really clear and simply explained answer would be great. Thank you so much.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Where did you download Soundflower from?

Soundflower is a great application if you need to customized audio routing on your Mac. I have been using it for years, especially back when I used to produce a podcast. When you install it, there isn't an interface, it is accessed through the input/output tabs in System Preferences... > Sound.

There is an uninstaller for Soundflower, or you can manually delete it.

Download Soundflower from here: Rogue Amoeba - Soundflower

To uninstall it:
-Double-click to unzip the archive
-Double-click to mount the DMG
-Double-click Uninstall Soundflower.scpt
-Restart

Creative Cloud in bottom left corner: Do you have Adobe Creative Cloud installed?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Where did you download Soundflower from?

Soundflower is a great application if you need to customized audio routing on your Mac. I have been using it for years, especially back when I used to produce a podcast. When you install it, there isn't an interface, it is accessed through the input/output tabs in System Preferences... > Sound.

There is an uninstaller for Soundflower, or you can manually delete it.

Download Soundflower from here: Rogue Amoeba - Soundflower

To uninstall it:
-Double-click to unzip the archive
-Double-click to mount the DMG
-Double-click Uninstall Soundflower.scpt
-Restart

Creative Cloud in bottom left corner: Do you have Adobe Creative Cloud installed?

C

I don't think the Soundflower link from that website works anymore, as the app doesn't open and I got a warning that the certificate expired. However, I was able to uninstall what was left of Soundflower by going into sudo command.

You're right, Creative Cloud is something I installed recently.

Thanks for the reply.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
The installer does work, you just have to click Continue in the certificate warning window. It will then install Soundflower and you will access it from the Sound preference pane. You can also use the uninstaller script there to remove it completely. If you already have it uninstalled manually, then you should be good. To ensure it is totally uninstalled, check to see if Soundflower is listed in the input/output sections of the Sound pref pane.

I believe you can turn off the Creative Cloud Desktop app menulet as follows:

Creative Cloud Help / Creative Cloud Desktop application FAQ

C

Ask a Question