Uploading avatars

Reaction score
It's not my most urgent problem, but before I get to that, opening this forum I get asked 'would you like to upload an avatar?'

Yes I would like to upload an avatar. I have avatars on various sites and have changed some sometimes, so it was never a problem - something even I could easily do.

I have an avatar ready, had copied the link, so then I clicked on the 'this page' that appears in the invite. There is a box where I thought I could just paste the link into. But no you, can't do that. It takes me to Applications. And then? What am I supposed to do?

It is not at all self evident, not to me anyway.

I've managed to copy my appropriate image to here anyway.
water-004.gif

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

This assumes you have an avatar graphic image on your computer's hard drive that meets the avatar specification.

To add an avatar to your profile:
1. When logged into the forum, click on your name in the upper right of the window, between New Posts and Inbox.
2. Select Avatar from the drop-down list.
3. In the Custom Avatar section, click the Choose file button in the Upload custom avatar section.
4. Navigate to your avatar graphic file, click on it to select it, click the choose button, then click Okay button.

Let us know if that doesn't work for you,

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Well done.

You uploaded it correctly. It shows as a static image, because this forum isn't setup t allow animated GIF avatars in all places. If you click on your name to view your pop-up profile, you will see the full animated GIF.

C

Reaction score
Old thread renewed so as not to create a new one...

I loaded my avatar. but mine is square and yours are round, LOL. My backside is missing... Is there anything I can do about that, or should I just be "coming out of a cave" and be happy to have that much? ;)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

The avatar display is a round "window". You could adjust the size of your uploaded image so that it fits in the circle.

C

Reaction score
I got it down to 6 KB. No change. The round windows are like that. I've run into it before.

Its OK.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
;)

I meant the dimensions in pixels, not the file size. You can use an image that is 400x400 pixels. I attached one that is 300x300 with your cave bear image I got from the Internet.

See how that works if you upload it.

C

Attachments

• cavebear_300.jpg
    cavebear_300.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 121
Reaction score
My avatar is 100 x 78 pixels. 1996 pixels per sq inch... It should fit. In fact, if it goes by pixels, it ought to be a very small part of the circle.

Reaction score
The image you sent works. Thank you. It has more pixels than mine, though. Did you lower the resolution to make it fit?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No, I just downloaded the image, which was 185x160 at 72 dpi. I then used Pixelmator to make the canvas size 300x300 and placed that image in the center. Then I exported it as JPG.

Did you click on the attached image and download the larger size, or just drag the one in the post, which is smaller?

C

Reaction score
Wow. I played around with my original image, your image, ran them both through Preview and tried a few things, ran through Photoshop Elements and tried a few things, and changed the pixels to 100/sq inch, and squashed it a bit horizontally, finally ending up with this.

I'm not going to mess with it further, LOL!

To be honest, after all the messing around, I don't know whether it was my original image or yours I finally played with successfully, but I truly do appreciate the help.

TeamworkImage.jpg

Ask a Question