Upload times

Reaction score
In my network, I upload files to two machines - both running 10.11.6. One, a MacBook Pro, and another an older Mac mini. It takes fully TWICE as long to upload to the former as to the latter. Now, the latter is somewhat closer to the router than the former, but each shows four bars on the network connection. What might be the cause of this difference? If because the network connection isn't as good in one versus the other, what's a more accurate measure of the network bandwidth for a given machine?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

The speeds should be similar, but it can vary depending on hardware, network settings, signal strength, etc.

-What are the exact models of the MBP and mini?
-What versions of Mac OX/macOS?
-Have you tries an Internet speed test on both? I know it's not a local test of your network's speed, but it may replicate the speed difference?

C

Reaction score
MacBook Pro early 2011 8,1
Mini late 2009 2.26
both at OS 10.11.6

Internet speeds on both are comparable, with the same test. But again, where do I get a good measure of signal strength?

This difference in upload speed is something that I ALWAYS see.

Reaction score
Aha! Got it. I forgot that my Mini was directly hooked up to the router. No wifi. This was clear when I tried to get the RSSI for it. That has to explain it.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
;)

Ethernet should be faster than Wi-Fi due to not having the same overhead, which sounds like the case in your scenario.

C

Ask a Question