Upgraded to Tiger, now all personal files are gone

Reaction score
I thought I'd inject some fresh vigor into my old G3 iMac by installing 10.4, I did this using my DVD equipped powerbook and the Target Disk method I'd read about. I opted to do an upgrade instead of a format and install. Everything went fine but I noticed that when it was all done, all my personal files had gone, that is, everything in 'documents' 'music' etc etc.

I know (now) that of course, I should have done a backup before attempting this, but I've always had confidence in these upgrades before. Judging by the amount of space left on the hard drive, I suspect that my files might still be on there somewhere, also, as I was doing the install, I had to enter all my user details again, so is it possible that a second user account was created? I've tried just logging off, but I only have the choice of one user on the login screen.

Files that weren't within the 'user' folder are still there from before the upgrade, and there is now a new 'previous system' folder in my HD, however as far as I can see, this just contains the expected system files.

Is this one of those cruel 'learn from experience' lessons, or is there any hope of being able to recover my things?

I would greatly appreciate any help that anyone is able to give me.

Ask a Question