SOLVED Upgrade to Sonoma , do it soon or wait a while until....

Reaction score
I dont want to do this update until I am back from Europe, I have my MacBook Air with me overseas for another month but would it be prudent to wait a while and see if any bugs need fixing? Your thoughts. Thank you all.
Steve Hope : MacBook Air M1 chip running Ventura 13.6.

Reaction score
Hi Steve,

While on a trip I would not recommend doing any major update like going to Sonoma.

Before you do any OS upgrade you should make sure that you have a full bootable backup just in case something happens during the upgrade process.

Reaction score
I dont want to do this update until I am back from Europe, I have my MacBook Air with me overseas for another month but would it be prudent to wait a while and see if any bugs need fixing? Your thoughts. Thank you all.
Steve Hope : MacBook Air M1 chip running Ventura 13.6.
As long as you have a complete Time Machine backup, or even two, you should be fine. I actually depend more on my Carbon Copy Cloner backups for restoring data if and when I need to do a complete restore (involving erasing the main SSD and reinstalling and migrating from backup), especially whenever I was forced to downgrade. I have three separate drives running Sonoma—my main system, a beta version with minimum extras, and a duplicate copy of my main system, to test that all my present apps and settings are working on the new version of macOS. I also have working macOS Monterey and Ventura systems.

The beta versions of Sonoma were okay, but not perfect, especially the aborted version of 13.6 beta that was terrible at first and I was forced to downgrade to 13.5.2.

Anyway, in my experience with Sonoma, I had no second thought about installing the wide release of 14.0 as soon as it came out. It was proving to be sa stable that I have already installed macOS 14.1 Beta (23B5046f) after first testing it on my other two installations of Sonoma.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Back from Europe and have two TM copies on ext HD's of this M1 MacBook Air currently running Ventura 13.6. So here goes with the upgrade to Sonoma 14.1. Hopefully I will be back later with a glowing report :).

Reaction score
2.5hrs? Thats a long one.
I been looking @ the reminder to download SONOMA in SYSTEMS SETTINGS for some time in my 2023 Mac laptop M2. Time for Al the Infidel to do some homework before fishing season begins. Ugh!

Reaction score
It helps to have a copy of the installer in case you need to reinstall macOS, saving you time and bandwidth by updating from System Settings. Instead you can download using App Store or Terminal. The former will automatically launch the app, so be sure to first quit and make a copy before running the actual installation. The Terminal method will not automatically launch it. If the installer is located in your Applications folder, it will be deleted right after the update, so don’t forget to make that copy first.

Ask a Question