UPgrade from High Sierra 10.13.6

Reaction score
Looks like I've gotta upgrade from IOS 10.13.6 because some of my key apps won't update any longer. First, I'm scared to upgrade because of all lthe problems folks have when they do that. Second, I cannot find any other IOS on the App store than the latest , Ventura 13.3.1. My MacBookk Pro is from 2015 and says it cannot upgrade to Venturea. Any other upgrade suggestions, or should I break down and buy the latest MacBook Pro? If I do go the upgrade route, are there some steps I should take to ensure I don't lose any data, photos, internet access, etc., when I upgrade? Any advice on which IOS to choose? Many thanks!

Reaction score
Make sure to back up all your data before upgrading. Time machine backup or clone the drive.

Reaction score
Looks like I've gotta upgrade from IOS 10.13.6 because some of my key apps won't update any longer. First, I'm scared to upgrade because of all lthe problems folks have when they do that. Second, I cannot find any other IOS on the App store than the latest , Ventura 13.3.1. My MacBookk Pro is from 2015 and says it cannot upgrade to Venturea. Any other upgrade suggestions, or should I break down and buy the latest MacBook Pro? If I do go the upgrade route, are there some steps I should take to ensure I don't lose any data, photos, internet access, etc., when I upgrade? Any advice on which IOS to choose? Many thanks!
Without knowing the exact model of your MBP, I looked up the earliest entry for 2015 MacBook Pro. It shows that your max macOS level is Big Sur. Go to  > App Store… and in the search field, enter “macos big sur.” After it comes up, click on the header so that macOS Big Sur comes up with the GET button. Click on that and it should start downloading the installer file into your Applications folder. When done, the installer will start up.

At this point, I always tell people to quit the installation and open the Applications folder. Make a copy of the install file (should read “Install macOS Big Sur.app” or something similar) to another safe location (for future use). Then go back to the one in your Applications folder and relaunch. I’m assuming you performed the usual precautions of having a backup of the system, as well as having done a fresh reboot.

Reaction score
Just be aware that if you go past 10.14, Mojave, then any of your Apps that are not 64 bit will not work.
That’s the reason why, after upgrading Mojave to Catalina, I created a volume running Mojave. I had several critical apps for my work, and there was no prospect of any of them getting upgraded to support Catalina and later. Even with my Studio Max, which cannot possibly run Mojave, I hang onto my old Mac mini mainly for Mojave.

Ask a Question