Newest "upgrades"

Reaction score
I go back to system 6 and Mac Classic. I have had every iteration of Mac OS since then. Over the years, every single update has given me some form of new aggravation. Last week I bought a new MacBook Air, to supplement my desktop mac when needed. After migrating my system over, I found that the simplest tasks that used to be easy were suddenly very difficult. For the first time in many years I had to get tech support on board. Simple stuff like disabling the login PIN at startup. Mac support walked me through this "improvement" a few more simple tasks that are suddenly not so simple. Up until about 6 months ago I probably could have been successful as an entry level Mac Tech Support geek. I think that Mac is making changes for the sake of change. Even the Mac Mail gets minor changes every time, none of them helpful. No more. I took that computer back (Costco). It has gotten to the point where my opinions on how much more intuitive and user-friendly mac is over Bill Gates are now not valid. Most of my friends are Mac people and every single one of them agrees with me. Mac is going downhill in my opinion.

Reaction score
I go back to system 6 and Mac Classic. I have had every iteration of Mac OS since then. Over the years, every single update has given me some form of new aggravation. Last week I bought a new MacBook Air, to supplement my desktop mac when needed. After migrating my system over, I found that the simplest tasks that used to be easy were suddenly very difficult. For the first time in many years I had to get tech support on board. Simple stuff like disabling the login PIN at startup. Mac support walked me through this "improvement" a few more simple tasks that are suddenly not so simple. Up until about 6 months ago I probably could have been successful as an entry level Mac Tech Support geek. I think that Mac is making changes for the sake of change. Even the Mac Mail gets minor changes every time, none of them helpful. No more. I took that computer back (Costco). It has gotten to the point where my opinions on how much more intuitive and user-friendly mac is over Bill Gates are now not valid. Most of my friends are Mac people and every single one of them agrees with me. Mac is going downhill in my opinion.
Heh. Len, I pre-date you by a couple of years. I started with the SE/30, also with System 6. (Did System 6 really last two+ years without a major upgrade? Shocking!) Remember when almost 90% of what ails the Mac can be fixed with two keys? ⌘ and ⌥, aka “desktop rebuild.” I used to be one of those Mac evangelists, but nowadays my loyalty rests with the supplier that can create the most business for me. I remember feeling no guilt when deciding between LetraSet Studio and Adobe Photoshop, Quark vs. PageMaker vs. InDesign, Illustrator 88 vs. Freehand, and so on…

Maybe Apple is not going downhill, just… everywhere and nowhere in particular. And don’t get me started with the Dvorak keyboard issue.

Ask a Question