IMac can't find software upgrades

Reaction score
I just bought a used iMac (Retina 5K, late 2015 model, Big Sur 11.0.1 installed). Everything works normally (surfing, etc.), but when I click on 'Software Updates' (via the Apple icon in the top left corner of the screen or the gears symbol), the computer just keeps searching in vain, finding nothing (see screenshot, sorry it's in German, but that should make no difference). At a mininum, the latest version of Big Sur should be shown, but there's just no results. I tried downloading Monterey directly from the App Store, but all it gets me is the same stuck situation as shown in the screenshot. What's also weird is that programs such as Pages and Numbers are missing on the hard disk, and aren't shown as potential updates, either.

Thanks in advance for your help, guys!

Attachments

• system update fail.png
    system update fail.png
    333.4 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Hi,

A 2015 model should be able to upgrade to Monterey, here is a link.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212735

Failing that possibly reload the original OS X which for 2015 I think was OS X10.11

What's also weird is that programs such as Pages and Numbers are missing on the hard disk
This would defiantly prompt me to reinstall OS X

Nice to see another Swiss member, I'm out of Genève:)

Reaction score
I had the same issue but the upgrade appeared after a time. I think it may have had something to do with my VPN but I am not sure. I now have another issue. I am having an issue with my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) 3.20 GHz. I am trying to upgrade my iMac from Mac OS BigSur to macOS Monterey. My iMac keeps getting stuck on the black install screen. Forgive me if this question has already been answered.

Attachments

• installblack3.jpg
    installblack3.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
I had the same issue but the upgrade appeared after a time. I think it may have had something to do with my VPN but I am not sure. I now have another issue. I am having an issue with my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) 3.20 GHz. I am trying to upgrade my iMac from Mac OS BigSur to macOS Monterey. My iMac keeps getting stuck on the black install screen. Forgive me if this question has already been answered.
What method are you using to perform the update? If I don’t have the actual installer file, I usually resort to going into Recovery for the update/reinstall. While in Recovery, your macOS is basically suspended and free of most running processes.

Having said that, I would advise anyone trying to upgrade to the latest version of Monterey (macOS 12.3) to hold off because of (now) widely known issues of it bricking the Mac and in other cases disabling dual-/multiple-displays setups. I happen to be a victim of the latter issue. Fortunately, I have a copy of the 12.2.1 installer and was able to downgrade successfully. I have had this problem since the release of the beta version of macOS 12.3 back in January and am appalled that Apple went ahead and released the final version anyway, not for lack of Feedback exchanges with them on the issue when it first manifested in October of last year.

Unless you have the installer for macOS 12.2.1 (21D62), I would avoid installing 12.3.

Ask a Question