Port Forwarding on Newest Airport Extreme

Reaction score
Posting on behalf of a friend.

"I have the latest Airport Extreme Base Station with the latest Updates and Firmware updates. I need to setup port forwarding on this unit. I have experiences with Linksys routers, but not with the Airport extreme. I need to open ports 6881 through 6999. How do I do that?

Thanks!"

I don't own an airport extreme, so I am of little help to my friend. Thanks for the help all!

Cheerio
Searay

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Searay,

send your friend to portforward.com

From the link above they then need to click the relevant software and it will show them how to do it...

Presumable with that port range it would be either WOW or bittorrent...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for that Ric!

He is having some comprehension problems. Port Forward is a bit outdated for the new Extreme. Here is why. First off, The Newest Airport Extremes don't use the Airport Admin Utility anymore. All new Airports come with a NEW program called Airport Utility, which is required to install before you hook up the extreme. It's a bit more friendly of an interface. Here are some screen grabs below. I think we need more guidance. :eek:

Thanks again

Cheerio
Searay

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 763
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 756
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 768
  • Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 809
  • Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 890

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for the last pic ;-)

Thats set up correctly...presuming his Mac is 192.168.1.200 (Set up as static or DHCP with an assigned address) Any data that hits the Airport will be forwarded to that IP address.

This will only 'forward' TCP ports...again I presume UDP is not needed.

Have you opened up the relevant ports on his Mac firewall if it's on ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks again Ric!

I have another pic here. The field that says IP address is the computer right? Just making sure here ;)

Also, I think he is using Bittorrent for this. So I am not sure if UDP is needed. Is it?

Cheerio
Searay

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 779
Reaction score
Hey Ric, thanks again for all of your help!!

I was able to figure it out and everything is going fine now!!!

We just had to change the ports in the program!

Thanks again, and hopefully others find this useful!

Cheerio
Searay

Ric

Reaction score
No problem !

In the last pic it shows he is using DHCP...his computer address needs to be set manually, If his computer gets assigned a new IP address then the port forward will go else where...

It doesn't matter whether he uses 'Manual' or DHCP with a 'manual address'....

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks Ric,

That was something I changed after I posted that last pic. It's set to DHCP with manual address. Everything is working good on the network now.

Reaction score
One little question on this helpful description - how do you get your computer to tell you the correct IP address to enter in the 'IP Address' field?

Ask a Question