SOLVED Can't upgrade OS beyond 10.15.7

Reaction score
Here's my system: I have a MBP 13-inch Mid 2012, 2.9Ghz intel core i7, 8gb 1600 Mhz DDR3, running Catalina. I've been trying to download some apps from the App Store only to receive a message similar to "must have OS 12 or higher..." So I try to download and install OS 12 or higher and App store won't allow me to download them. Am I doing something wrong? Is my computer simply too old and slow to handle the upgrade?

Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide...

Reaction score
Here's my system: I have a MBP 13-inch Mid 2012, 2.9Ghz intel core i7, 8gb 1600 Mhz DDR3, running Catalina. I've been trying to download some apps from the App Store only to receive a message similar to "must have OS 12 or higher..." So I try to download and install OS 12 or higher and App store won't allow me to download them. Am I doing something wrong? Is my computer simply too old and slow to handle the upgrade?

Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide...
Your MBP can only run macOS 10.15.7. It cannot be upgraded to Monterey. What apps are you trying to get? Maybe you can get other apps equivalent to what these do, not from Apple.

Reaction score
Your MBP can only run macOS 10.15.7. It cannot be upgraded to Monterey. What apps are you trying to get? Maybe you can get other apps equivalent to what these do, not from Apple.
Thanks for responding, TonyAguila. I was kinda thinking that the system simply is not capable of upgrading due to its age and configuration.

I was looking for something to view a powerpoint presentation on; It's a pptx file and my older Microsoft and Apple software wouldn't open the file. The App Store downloads are also incompatible. I found LibreOffice online and it worked perfectly. Thanks!

Reaction score
Thanks for responding, TonyAguila. I was kinda thinking that the system simply is not capable of upgrading due to its age and configuration.

I was looking for something to view a powerpoint presentation on; It's a pptx file and my older Microsoft and Apple software wouldn't open the file. The App Store downloads are also incompatible. I found LibreOffice online and it worked perfectly. Thanks!
Keynote can’t open PowerPoint? It should. I do it all the time. LibreOffice, though not very elegant, has been a lifesaver in the past.

Ask a Question