IMAC MID 2011 27" I5 12GB RAM -UPGRADE SSD / Processor & Memory - Help please

Reaction score
Hi , So many questions and please go easy on the Jargon, if you cant answer all parts any elements you can are hugely appreciated. Based in Uk but welcome responses from all - even re recommended parts etc if from differing locations.

A. Disc Drive - I want to upgrade my disc drive to a SSD drive.
1. Can i buy an internal SSD 1TB that firstly I can connect externally (with a docking station?) to clone my current old Hard Disc before installing the internal SSD? Assuming an internal SSD is the far better solution.
2. Or can i do the above but just have an external SSD to boot off in future and make the internal drive redundant? (ie cloneover etc first) and would i use a USB connection or Thunderbolt? Any info re speeds pros and cons etc of this option against doing the more complex internal install are welcome.
3. Do i need some kind of accessories to buy with an Internal SSD drive to do the install? Ie leads etc or is it like for like with current hard disc. (keep reading about a thermal sensor?)
4. can anyone recommend a good compatible SSD 1TB or are the all much the same?

B. Processor
1.Simple is it worth upgrading the i5 and if so what too, can anyone advise and send links of compatible processors. What difference will it make.
2. Is this a simple process?

C. Memory -
1. I'm not infront of my Mac but I did previously upgrade to either 12gb or 16gb of RAM memory. But im led to believe you can go up to 32 with8GB in each slot. Can anyone confirm and again direct me to the compatible memory .
2. is this again worth the upgrade from 12 or 16 say to 32.

D . Any other upgrades
1. Are there any other suggested upgrades that could make my 2011 mid run faster. Its main issue for me is the almost constant whurrring of the hard disk and it acting as if its constantly over working its self. struggles for CPU at times but is slow booting up and opening some applications..

E. OS
1. I assume none of these upgrades will impact the ability to update the OS HIGH SIERRA to a newer version.
Really appreciate your input.

regards
Pete

Reaction score
Great questions! I'll try to address them as best I can.

A. An internal SSD can be connected externally to clone your current hard drive before installing it internally. You can also opt for an external SSD to boot from, but an internal one would typically offer better performance. If you go with the external option, Thunderbolt will be faster than USB. For the internal SSD install, you might need a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter and a SATA cable.

B. Upgrading the processor in an iMac is not typically a simple process and might not yield significant performance gains. It's usually more cost-effective to upgrade the RAM and storage.

C. Your iMac can indeed support up to 32GB of RAM, and adding more can significantly boost performance. Make sure you get DDR3 1333 MHz PC3-10600 modules, they're compatible with your model.

D. An SSD upgrade should help with the whirring and slow boot times. You might also consider cleaning out any dust inside, as it can cause overheating and slow performance.

E. Upgrades shouldn't affect your ability to update the OS, but do note that macOS High Sierra is the last officially supported OS for your model. You can still unofficially upgrade beyond that, though.

Reaction score
Thats great answers really appreciate your time.

One question when you say MIGHT need an adaptor for 2.5to 3.5 and a sata cable.. how do i tell!?

I was looking at the following SDD which has the option to buy the items show on the two links below. But how do i know if i need them?

Crucial MX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD - Up to 560MB/s - CT1000MX500SSD1​

Then option to buy (internal kit)

and do i need this also? (I think this will link the external case I poss need buy?)

I think i need a case to connect it when externally, can you provide an example of this!? Im unsure what i need for that?

Thanks so much

Reaction score
Hi Macman,

On the 2011 iMac you would not want to do use an external SSD, the USB ports are only USB 2.0.

The main issue with the older iMacs that use an HD is that there is a heat sensor that is on the drive that is needed otherwise your fans will run at full speed all of the time.

OWC sells an SSD with a kit that includes the sensor that is needed. Here is the kit that is needed that includes a 1TB SSD for your iMac

Reaction score
Hi Macman,

On the 2011 iMac you would not want to do use an external SSD, the USB ports are only USB 2.0.

The main issue with the older iMacs that use an HD is that there is a heat sensor that is on the drive that is needed otherwise your fans will run at full speed all of the time.

OWC sells an SSD with a kit that includes the sensor that is needed. Here is the kit that is needed that includes a 1TB SSD for your iMac
Ah thankyou!

So will a usb 3.0 to SSD dock not work with the USB 2 connections on the mac for the disc cloniing? Not backward compatible? Or would judt take a month!?

How best can I clone before I replace current drive with ssd?

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in responding, I wanted to test this to make sure that it works before replying.

So yes, you can use that USB 3.0 to Sata Adaptor to mount the external SSD without issues.

When you format the drive, if you are cloning High Sierra to it, you need to format the SSD as APFS with a GUID Partition Scheme.

If you are installing an earlier OS to the drive then it needs to be Mac OS Extended Journalled with a GUID partition scheme.

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in responding, I wanted to test this to make sure that it works before replying.

So yes, you can use that USB 3.0 to Sata Adaptor to mount the external SSD without issues.

When you format the drive, if you are cloning High Sierra to it, you need to format the SSD as APFS with a GUID Partition Scheme.

If you are installing an earlier OS to the drive then it needs to be Mac OS Extended Journalled with a GUID partition scheme.
ah ok great so even tho the mid-2011 is usb2 it will connect and the SSD drive will be seen and able to transfer the data etc over.

Ok, Im copying high sierra so even though my current mad drive says the format is "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" are you saying do it as APFS yes?

One further thing I seem to have a split hard drive HD 1 and 2 (I seem to recall a friend creating a partition I don't recall why or what that is?) will that impact the copy over? there seemingly is nothing on hd2 its 39.87 GB capacity and 39.71 available
My main disk has 460 GB available and 499 used. Will that take long to copy to SSD?

Reaction score
In High Sierra Apple used APFS for solid state storage, and rotational boot drives. As of 10.14 Mojave, apple required APFS for system installation.

As far as copying the data, it should take between 2 1/2 and 4 hours. I would not worry about the empty partition, just copy the main partition.

Also, how are you copying the data over? You should be using an app like Carbon Copy Cloner to do this.

Reaction score
In High Sierra Apple used APFS for solid state storage, and rotational boot drives. As of 10.14 Mojave, apple required APFS for system installation.

As far as copying the data, it should take between 2 1/2 and 4 hours. I would not worry about the empty partition, just copy the main partition.

Also, how are you copying the data over? You should be using an app like Carbon Copy Cloner to do this.
Great! appreciate the explanation.

id seen a few options disk utility and third party apps... ill look at carbon copy cloner id not heard of..just want the easiest and quickest:)

Reaction score
CCC will be the easiest and best solution for you. They give you a 30 day trial so you wont need to buy it for this task.

You can download CCC version 5 at https://bombich.com/download

Here is the help file on how to setup the backup How to set up your first backup. Dont worry about any of the options. Just set the Source and Destinations, and then press Start.
So in carbon copy after erasing the new ssd and formatting as you've stated I don't he clone copy. Once compoete the NEW SSd Can then be installed unto the imac and the imac will autonwtically try and boot from that location and seen the new SSD and boot from there?

Thanks

Reaction score
Once the clone is completed you should test that the drive will be bootable.

You do this by starting your Mac while holding down the option key, and then selecting the SSD and and clicking on the up arrow below .

Once you know that will boot your iMac, you can then install it in the iMac.

Then once installed startup your Mac again while holding down the option key and select the SSD. This time however you want to hold down the Control key, you will see the Up arrow change to a circular arrow. Click the circular arrow. This will startup your mac from the SSD, and set it as the boot volume for future restarts.

Reaction score
OK issue, imac crashed twice during cloning. So I'm guessing the old HDD is struggling with that!?

1 Next option I assume is to install. High Sierra onto the SSD via docking station. Then manually creating new login accounts and installing applications?
2. Then if I install this SSD physically to replace the HDD I'll pull out, will the mac simply recognise the new SSD after install and boot up with new account etc?
3. Prior to this I'd try to manually copy over music and images etc bit by bit to avoid crashes.

Hopefully this is the correct steps
. Thanks

Reaction score
That will work,

After you install the SSD into the iMac just follow the instructions in my last post on how to select and set the SSD as a boot drive.

You can also get a SATA to USB adaptor that has a power supply so that you can connect the old Hard Drive to your iMac to try and recover files after you install the SSD.

Something like this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JGT17B8

Reaction score
Ah perfrct so I can still grab stuff off my old disk drive thats prob a better way and I can even keep as a back up if it survives not being used

Brilliant.. Here goes :)

Reaction score
All. Done and I could.not be more pleased. It's flying to so so worth £50 Appreciate your help.

And tbh while. More. Time consuming, total fresh new build feels. Cleaner thsn taking what would. Have been a cluttered clone. But with the ssd all of the previous slowness and cpu issues evaporated in a second.

Great stuff!

Ask a Question