Upgrade ram

Reaction score
Hello, looking for some advice/options. I have an old MacBook Pro, late 2012 model. I’m currently considering upgrading the ram to the max possible as it’s quite slow but the I also noticed that Catalina is the last update it would receive. Is it worth upgrading the ram or should I just consider getting a new one? I only really use it for using Excel as I have some spreadsheets that I use and it’s too slow at the moment for anything else. I do have an iPad… my MacBook isn’t for work, its just for my personal use. Apologies in advance if this may seem like a silly question. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hello, looking for some advice/options. I have an old MacBook Pro, late 2012 model. I’m currently considering upgrading the ram to the max possible as it’s quite slow but the I also noticed that Catalina is the last update it would receive. Is it worth upgrading the ram or should I just consider getting a new one? I only really use it for using Excel as I have some spreadsheets that I use and it’s too slow at the moment for anything else. I do have an iPad… my MacBook isn’t for work, its just for my personal use. Apologies in advance if this may seem like a silly question. Thanks in advance.
Your model, MacBookPro10,2, came with 8 gibibytes of RAM and not upgradeable. Do you still have iWork installed? Consider using Numbers instead of Excel. Much better, in my opinion. You can always export Numbers spreadsheets to Excel, if need be.

Depending on the storage size of the SSD, especially if less than 512 gigabytes, try to avoid running multiple apps at the same time, to minimize memory swaps between RAM and SSD which contributes to the slowness, and overall wear-and-tear.

Reaction score
Ohh… I’ve searched online and with my model number it says my memory is upgradable. I don’t have iWork and don’t think I ever did have it installed or can’t say I ever took notice of it. I’ve had my MacBook close to 10 years now…

I don’t run multiple apps at the same time as my system can’t cope with it. As I said I’m only able to use Excel, don’t particularly like Numbers, but maybe I’ll give it another try. Trying to open a browser to get on the internet takes forever and I just give up.

I was wrong as well when I double checked my spec and it’s a mid 2012 model. Thanks for the advice though.
DB058A83-1CE4-44A6-BBEA-5CDAB6E889E9.jpeg

Reaction score
Ohh… I’ve searched online and with my model number it says my memory is upgradable. I don’t have iWork and don’t think I ever did have it installed or can’t say I ever took notice of it. I’ve had my MacBook close to 10 years now…

I don’t run multiple apps at the same time as my system can’t cope with it. As I said I’m only able to use Excel, don’t particularly like Numbers, but maybe I’ll give it another try. Trying to open a browser to get on the internet takes forever and I just give up.

I was wrong as well when I double checked my spec and it’s a mid 2012 model. Thanks for the advice though. View attachment 4600
So how much RAM do you have now? MacTracker indicates that the 13" Mid 2012 MBP came with 8GB memory from Apple, but it has two memory slots, so you can upgrade to 16GB. You may have to get two 8GB memory cards because Apple probably installed two 4GB ones. I don’t know what to suggest regarding internet speed. I had a 2013 MBP myself and I loved it, including internet speed, even at public places, or using my iPhone as a hotspot. Maybe you have a slow connection? Can you try at another location, maybe a friend’s?

Your maximum system software upgrade is macOS 10.15.7 Catalina. Unless you previously removed them, it should have come with iWork: Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. I really think that Numbers will grow on you once you get used to it. I had been using Excel for a good number of years because of the nature of my work, well before Numbers came out, but once I got used to it, I never used Excel anymore except to test the Excel files I export from Numbers if I have to send it to a client using Excel. And I still never use Pages or Keynote.

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I’ve had another look and I only have 4gb at the moment, so upgrading to 16 will definitely speed things up. My problem isn’t getting on the internet, in terms of the speed of my internet connection, but because of how slow my computer is. The browser (or any other app for that matter) takes a very long time to load, so I don’t bother going on the internet. Once I’ve upgraded the ram and things are a bit faster and I have more patience, I’ll really try to use numbers. Thanks for the advice.

Ask a Question