SOLVED Mac Pro (RAM Upgrade)

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I'm considering installing more RAM in my Mac Pro desktop.

It was purchased in 2012 (with 3GB pre-installed) and worked just fine. Recently, it's become painfully slow though. Screenshots below:

my-mac-pro-001.png

my-mac-pro-002.png

my-mac-pro-003.png

my-mac-pro-004.png

Would be grateful if someone could advise on whether installing new RAM might help to speed or whether it could be that the CPU is just nearing the end of its life so-to-speak.

Thanks,
Lance.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It really depends on which and how many apps you are running simultaneously. If you are running pro apps like Photoshop, Final Cut X, etc., then you would definitely benefit from additional RAM. Most pro apps like to be the only open app when they are running. Also, restarting more frequently may help the situation, especially if your Mac Pro runs for days/weeks without a restart.

Feel free to give us additional information reagrding your usage, and we'll be happy to discuss futher towards a recommendation.

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory,

That's really helpful. At present, the only heavy app I tend to run is Photoshop, but the Mac struggles even when just trying to open a simple Word doc (with no other programmes running).

Think I'm going to bite the bullet and invest in some more RAM and hope for the best.

Thanks again,
Lance.

Ask a Question