Upgrade OS X 10.9.5

Reaction score
my mac book air has os X 10.9.5 and need upgradation. please help me as i can't find the next version anywhere....

Last edited:
Reaction score
There are a number of things you need to do before you upgrade the OS (Operating System). They are:

1. Decide which OS you want to upgrade to. You can upgrade to the last version of Yosemite, OS 10.10.5, or the most recent version of El Capitan, OS 10.11.6. However, Sierra, OS 10.12, will be arriving soon (sometime this month).

2. Go to the Apple App Store, and download the OS you want to upgrade to. After that download completes, there will be a file entitled "Install OS X "OS name"" inside the Applications folder. So, for example, if you want the latest version of El Capitan, that file will be named "Install OS X El Capitan" there. Make sure to make another copy of that file in a different location on your internal drive.

3. Depending on which OS you decide to upgrade to, it will be necessary to insure that any third party applications you use are compatible with the OS you choose. If necessary, you'll need to download any upgrades to such third party apps.

4. Make sure you have a backup of your current system to an external device, after doing #2 and #3 above.

5. The next step is to do the actually installation of the new OS. But, here is where I am unsure how to proceed. Myself, I make my backups with SuperDuper!, and such backups are bootable. I thus know how to proceed via that bootable backup. But, with a Time Machine backup, someone else will need to "guide" you. You can do an actual upgrade from OS 10.9.5 to whichever OS you choose, but I always find it better to Erase and Format the internal drive first, then do a clean, "virgin" installation of the new OS.

No matter how you proceed, it will definitely be necessary to complete steps 1 through 4 above. By the way, what MacBook Air model do you have? I myself have a mid 2013 13" MacBook Air, with a 251 gig SSD. It is a pleasure to use!

Ask a Question