Upgrade OS 9 to OS/X

Reaction score
I was hoping to upgrade an old blue iMac from 9.2.2 to 10.4. Upon installation I was told by the installer app that I would have to install 10.3 first.

If I attempt this will the 10.3 installer tell me I need to first install 10.2, etc.? Where will I need to begin to get OS/X running on this older machine?

The machine in question is a G3 400Mhz iMac with 1Gb of RAM, boot ROM ver. 4.1.9f1, Mac OS ROM 8.7.

Thanks heaps,
Steven

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Sounds like you may have an upgrade disc instead of a standalone installation disc. I upgraded from 9.2.2 to 10.3.9 on an old iBook G3 using a Panther disc I bought off eBay that looked like this:

panther_cd_black-20071221-115045.jpg

Does your Panther disc look like that? The install disc needs to be the full retail version as your iMac originally came with an OS 8.x install disc so don't try using a model specific installation disc from a later released Mac as it won't work.

Make sure you have the Firmware Update 1.2 installed.

Your G3 400MHz or Bondi Blue iMac natively supports up to Mac OS 10.3.9, but it is possible to install Tiger using XPostFacto but you might have some performance issues with any OS above Panther.

You have enough installed RAM to support Tiger if you wish to give it a go.

Ask a Question